" />

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Did you harvest the largest buck you had in range?

Old 03-26-2005, 02:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Did you harvest the largest buck you had in range?

My biggest was stuck at 8 yards with a x-bow 125 spitfire it scored 18
Old 03-26-2005, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

This isn't a bow story but it is a big buck story that was my first and is what has got me hooked on hunting whitetails.

My first hunt since I was a young man was in southern Ohio, in Gallia county. I woke the first day of gun season from a dream. I was standing looking down over a ravine. As I stood there something to my left caught my attention . Walking down a fence row was a big bodied buck. I lifted my gun, lined the sight up just past a large tree and when he stepped past I shot.

I went out that morning with the land owner. We ended up looking over a ravine. Then, 45 min. after legal shooting time began a large bodied 8 walked down a fence row to my left. I pointed the gun just past a large tree and when he stepped past I fired. He hit the ground dead.

I’ve never really known what to make of it but I’ve come to one conclusion, God caused the whole thing to happen. Why He chose to give me that deer that way I don’t know. Maybe some future event will make things clearer. I only know that it has changed the course of my life.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:52 AM

Well, Well........This brings up bad memories. To answer your question, NO!!

I've had 6 bucks bigger than my best in bowrange and couldn't close the deal.

2 misses [:'(]
1 wounded and lost[:@][:'(][:'(]
1 with a smaller buck who busted me during the draw
1 with a doe who winded me at the last minute
1 waiting for a better shot that didn't happen

I've been cursed when it comes to bucks in bowrange. Oddly enough, all those happened during a 2-3 year span when bowhunting wasn't what it means to me now and I didn't have the necessary preparation that I take into the woods with me today. I went another 4-5 years without a good buck in bowrange and the last 2 that made that mistake came home with me
Old 03-26-2005, 08:14 AM

I was wundering about passed shots.Nobody likes a qaurtering on shot, But as long as it's not to much of an angle I will take them. This doe was 20 yds and I was sitting on the ground with my recurve.Would you have passed on the shot? If I would have waited she would have seen me. It was Dec 28 and very cold.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:20 AM

Nope, I had an easy 200 class(net) walk by at 21 yards. I had seen him several times early in the year, I grossed scored him at over 230 inches. Come December he walked right on by my stand, I couldn't bring myself to shot him. Well, I didn't have a tag for him.[:@] I shot at 129 3/8 buck the first week of season. I did have a tag from another state, but I wouldn't be able to live with myself if I did that, so I had to let him go.
Old 03-26-2005, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I had a 170-180ish deer within 30 yards a couple years ago. I never even raised my bow. He was down a small valley that started at my stand and looked to be about 50 yards away. I could have plugged him in a heartbeat had I known the range...

You snooze, you lose. It was entirely my fault. I hadn't ranged anything at that stand. Hell, I'd only been in it for about 10 minutes when the big boy sauntered by.

I did kill an 8-pt about 45 minutes later that scored about 75" less than that big boy...LOL
Old 03-26-2005, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I know this is about bucks, but I have had to let several bull elk that were bigger than my biggest 6x6 go because the shot was wrong. In 2001 I called a huge bull that would have been in the 350's into me twice in the same hour. Both times he was under 20 yards but becase of the down fall and trees I didn't have a clear broadside shot. That memory is still fresh in my mind today. Oh well he did have a bone chilling bugle that sent shivers throughout my body and turned it to jello! To be so close and to have a bull blow you off your feet is always a reward and a treat in itself! No matter how many times a year it happens!
Old 03-26-2005, 03:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nope, I blew it on a dandy 8 pointer two years ago. It was definately the biggest I've had in range. It's funny all my hunting buddies haven't shot the biggest ones they've had in range either.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

My biggest bow buck i had in range was a button buck at 10 yards and it was a quartering away shot and the arrow was about 95% pass through the arrow was laying only like 10 ft from where i shot the deer. I watched the deer fall and the whole time i was basically screaming FALL FALL FALL!!! lol it was only my second deer of my life.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:42 PM

first time i ever went bow hunting i had the biggest 10 pointer i ever saw come 8 yards from my ground blind. went to draw back and i here a deer snort half back in my draw, here a small buck had been standing behind me and must have saw me through the back window i had open to let cool air in. both deer ran off about 50-80 yards and feed for a little bit then left the area

Quick Reply: Did you harvest the largest buck you had in range?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.