Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hoyt, Mathews, etc.

Old 01-08-2002, 11:43 AM
Spike

Default Hoyt, Mathews, etc.

I am in the market for a new bow, and initially i thought about a PSE, but i think i've changed my mind. The bow i was using was a old Fred Bear Whitetail II, a true relic. Anyway i don't know much about the industry and i have some questions. First, let me say that i don't trust any advice from a proshop after an experience i had the other day, they sure loved mathews.
I am looking for a bow to hunt with, i don't really care about 3D because i don't have the time. So with that in mind what are the advantages to the different types of hoyt bows. The havoc, votec, and cybertec all seen like great bows, but is the difference in their performance as great as the difference in price between the all these and the magnatec? Remember all i really want is a smooth bow that will shoot flat for 30 yards. Finally, i guess i have the same question about the mathews FX, why is it so much less thant the other mathews, is the difference that great for the average bowhunter? I personally seem to think that there's only so much a bow can do and the rest is up the the shooter. I would keep the bow i have now if it didn't have 3 1/2 foot drop between 20 and 30 yards.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:32 PM

Default RE: Hoyt, Mathews, etc.

For your needs, I would go for the MagnaTec. A friend of mine has one. He has shot two deer with it and he loves it. I opted for the HavocTec as I will use it for hunting, 3D and for shooting indoor on paper targets. I have never seen any of the bows from Mathews, so I can't comment on them. Just wondering why you changed your mind about bows from PSE? As for advice from pro-shops, find another pro-shop, they aren't all like that.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> is the difference that great for the average bowhunter? <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

My opinion is that, No, there isn't that much of a difference...especially for the average hunter. You would do just as well with a Magnatec or an FX as you would with a Cybertec or Q2.
Old 01-08-2002, 12:58 PM

Dear Sir,

Only you can judge the best bow for you. When I purchased my last bow I needed something for 3D, and Hunting. I was all set up on one bow then got a completely different bow from PSE.

I would personally say that any bow that feels good in your hand and draws the way you like is the best bow for you. If what you want to do is hunt out to 30 yards with it then get a comfortable bow. If you are planning any 3D tournaments then get the bow that has the best performance with the best feel. To find this just look at the IBO speed rating. But always get something that you can draw comfortably or your accuracy will suffer. Like Hard vs. Soft cams.

I personally like all the PSE Bows but am thinking of a Matthews Q2 for my next Bow.
Old 01-08-2002, 01:33 PM

This may be a little off the subject, but what is with everyone and their Hoyt and Mathews bows? Are they really THAT MUCH BETTER than the less expensive bows. They cost so much more, but my Browning Mirage has never failed. I am looking at getting a Browning Eclipse or Tornado. I was just wondering why everyone has these bows. They don't seem that much different than Browning or bows in that class. I have always thought that you are paying for the name.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
Old 01-08-2002, 01:50 PM

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>
This may be a little off the subject, but what is with everyone and their Hoyt and Mathews bows? Are they really THAT MUCH BETTER than the less expensive bows. They cost so much more, but my Browning Mirage has never failed. I am looking at getting a Browning Eclipse or Tornado. I was just wondering why everyone has these bows. They don't seem that much different than Browning or bows in that class. I have always thought that you are paying for the name.

Good Luck This Season: Buck Magnet
P.S. Only Chuck Adams can sit at home and see deer so get into the woods. =;^)
<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

Dear Sir,

I dont see any major increases in performance but when it comes to years of service and dependability that is where the extra money comes in, Also these bows fit me like a glove so I shoot better using them. Please remember archery is 99% mental and 1% physical. The more confidence you have in your equipment the better you will shoot. I have shot browning bows but just didn't like the way they felt so I shot darton and PSE because they had what I wanted and needed in a bow.

EricS
Old 01-08-2002, 01:57 PM

i personally own a magna tec and it has killed the two deer that i released on. i use rocket steel heads shoot 2315 arrows with 100 grain heads. one kill was a complete pass through at 20 yards and the other went completly threw and stuck in the frount quarter on the opposite side. and then pulled the rest the way threw within 2 steps and that shoot was 31 yards. i do have a 20 and 30 yard pin. although if you shoot carbons or graphite you might use 1 pin. there is probably a 1/4&quot; gap on my setup. i am very satisfied with my HOYTE and the mathews is the backup bow. i hope this helps.

Old 01-08-2002, 01:58 PM
Typical Buck

The FX is a great hunting bow. Very light, good speed, great hunting length, no harmonic dampners or other &quot;frills&quot; to push the price up. It will do exactly what you want and is specifically designed for the hunter. You will not notice a difference, and neither will most target or 3D shooters.

Mathews 1st, and then Hoyt, are the two top selling bows in the industry for a reason. I'm very partial to Mathews, but you won't go wrong with the Hoyt.

Jeff...U.P. of Michigan.
Old 01-08-2002, 02:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Buck Magnet,

I definitely will not tell anyone that one brand of bow is &quot;better&quot; than another. What I will say is that the materials and the design of most of the Hoyt bows that I have owned and shot really has shocked me. I could very easily illustrate the various Hoyt bow components and their advantages over similar designs.

I am also definitely not saying that both Hoyt and Mathews popularity is strictly based on quality. The advertising has something to do with it as well.

As the other post basically stated &quot;To each his own&quot;.

Old 01-08-2002, 02:32 PM

It is a shame when dealers push a brand like that, or the expensive bows. If that's what you are looking for that's fine. But a 700 dollar bow does not really fit your criteria.

As far as the FX goes, I looked at them and wasn't overly excited. I like mathews alot, but I think the FX is about the same as any other mid priced bow. I think you could even due better if you shopped around. I am not saying it is a bad bow, just not what I picture when I think mathews. Hoyt deffinately has many options to choose from as far as limbs and cam options. Clearwater is also a good one for that. Both offer a dual cam option for most of there bows if you like that. Darton also has a dual cam bow. The Maverick REW, stands for round energy wheel. Should be very smooth to draw. But the darton CPS system is pretty smooth in it's self. I own a darton by the way. The new prolines are also very nice.

Shoot as many as you can and decide which one you like, the hell with what the dealer thinks you should have, unless he is going to give it to you.

Parkers are also nice, and bowtechs are fast, but can be a bit pricey like mathews or top of the line Hoyts. Almost every company out makes a decent bow, it just depends on what you like better.

Paul

Quick Reply: Hoyt, Mathews, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.