Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Legalizing Crossbows

Old 03-24-2005, 01:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Legalizing Crossbows

Datamax, first of all DUDE. Finding elk and calling them is acctually easier than you think. Usually when a bull comes in he is charging for all he is worth. Alot of times the elk is in your lap before you know it. That is why I said that drawing is the hardest part(timing). I have never taken a bull over 20 yards and most are under 10. If the bull is barreling down on you and you draw just when he decides to stop and take a look around. He could leave you sitting at full draw. I too have taken many bulls and was just sharing my experience. if you say the right things to them they can't help but come in to investigate, and it is usually fast. As far as crossbows. No comment.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:26 PM

but no reason to bring their names into this. My login name is new, but I've been around the site for a long time.
Welcome to the club. I invented multiple usernames.

You don't shoot an xbow during any season nor will you anytime soon from what I've read initially in the other thread.
Correct. If I find trad too tough I'll go back to a compound. I think I'm a better hunter with a compound than a crossbow

Your just debating to debate. So why are you even debating the xbow thing? What possible cause do you have with this?
Good question. The answer ? because the belief that crossbows are bad is false. The belief that they don't belong in archery season is ridiculous. I've proven it by showing that NEVER have they proved a negative in AR, OH, GA or other states. I'm the type that loves to know WHY - and this crossbow thing is one of the ones that pops up that everyone hates the though of them being legalized in archery season, but no one can really say WHY. Its like the P&Y club and PBS has said it so much that people just believe it without even thinking WHY.

I was there, I hated crossbows at one time and bad mouthed them. I was wrong. Crossbow don't hurt my season one bit, nor anyones in OH nor anyone in GA nor anyones in any other state where they might be legal.

Crossbows in legal archery season stirs things up, it makes a person think WHY they believe in something. I've come full circle. Arthur P and I have very similar ideas on where archery is going, and where its come from. He's of a different view in that go ahead and allow all the archery steroids that people have used but allow no more. I say if we're going to allow all the steroids that been in use, might as well ALL the steroids. Same thing, different package, and all the results are about the same too.

Finding elk and calling them is acctually easier than you think.
I don't think, I know.

Usually when a bull comes in he is charging for all he is worth.
Rarely do bulls come charging in. Most often they'll answer you and if you're sounding good enough they'll come plodding in and start locking up at about 40-50 yards looking for visible proof of what they're hearing. I've had a couple of bulls come in fast - very few.

Alot of times the elk is in your lap before you know it. That is why I said that drawing is the hardest part(timing).
I almost always hear them long before they get to me. Elk are very noicy especially if they're bugling coming in. I've only drawn on maybe 2-3 bulls in full view - the rest all had their heads behind trees, coming in etc etc and the ones I had to draw on close range ? I drew before they come in and just couldn't get the right shot. Compounds are vastly better in hunting conditions because of the ability to draw and hold. VASTLY

I have never taken a bull over 20 yards and most are under 10.
Most are under 10 yards ? Are you trying to grope them before you shoot ? Most of mine are probably 20 yards shots .... 30 yards maybe the most. 6 yards was the closest.

If the bull is barreling down on you and you draw just when he decides to stop and take a look around. He could leave you sitting at full draw. I too have taken many bulls and was just sharing my experience. if you say the right things to them they can't help but come in to investigate, and it is usually fast. As far as crossbows. No comment.
Everyone has a differnt "way" to elk hunt

DUDE
Old 03-24-2005, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: adams

Part of the problem is the politics of hunting seasons.

--Bob
Actually Bob, I think this statement summs it up perfectly. Unfortunately[:@] Just be happy you don't live in PA (sorry couldn't resist, if you don't get it see the Northeast forum)
Adams, I do visit there for a week every October, does that count> Love the place even though we don't see nearly the amount of deer we did several years ago, still see more than in NH!
Old 03-24-2005, 02:20 PM
Typical Buck

Another reason why I'll steer far from posts created by you is because you say that your ideas and thoughts parallel those of Arthur P. Enough said. Have a good day.
Old 03-24-2005, 02:51 PM

Xtec - would you liek to compare these two bows ?

We can talk about which is more accurate, which is easier to use, which has letoff, which is used with a triggered release, which has sights, which can group at 50 yards, which brings in less dedicated hunters .......... you know, we'll talk about the same things compounders talk about concerning crossbows.

Cool ?

Old 03-24-2005, 02:51 PM
Site Bouncer

Crossbow don't hurt my season one bit, nor anyones in OH nor anyone in GA nor anyones in any other state where they might be legal.
Good point.

This is my way of thinking about crossbows.....I cannot find a single reason WHY they would be detrimental if allowed to be used during the archery season.

I for one do not buy in to the "lazy hunter" syndrome some of you seem to group all those who do not use a bow in. I also use a gun for hunting and I find it just as fun and challenging as my bow at times. You mean to tell me that none of you so called "hunters" ever use a firearm of any sort? if you did then are you also a "lazy" slob wanabe hunter too? if you don't then please don't call yourself a "hunter" because MY definition of a true hunter is a person who hunts all types of game with ALL types of weapons.

I hunt anything from prairie dogs to coyote to bear to elk to pronghorns to deer to pheasant to quail to rabbit to grouse to ducks to turkey and the list goes on and I have used many many different types or weapons to do so.

I said it before and I will say it again some of you (and you know who you are) need to drop this elitist attitude about bow hunting and start really HUNTING!

There is NOTHING wrong with a crossbow, it's just another weapon to choose from and if it's legal in your state why don't you give it a try?
Old 03-24-2005, 02:54 PM

BigJ12 - exactly
Old 03-24-2005, 03:19 PM
Site Bouncer

I would also like to say this.

If all you do is just hunt deer with a bow that's also fine. My statement in my last post was aimed at those high and mighty who think that the world revolves around bow hunting and that other methods are for the "Lazy" and the unskilled and all that other crap.

I think this is the crux of the problem. Some of you actually believe your own garble that if you don't use a bow then you might as well shoot yourself in the head because you're useless and can't hunt. And it is my contention that this is the problem that some of you have toward crossbows. To me it seem like the mere thought of crossbows being legal AND allowed in the same archery season somehow belittles your ability with a compound bow. It seems like the infultration of crossbows in your sacred sport somehow muddies your pure hunting waters.

Some of you have been very hard on datamax but to me, becides making his point I can't recall him belittling others for using anything other than a longbow or recurve. Because (and I know most of you can't stand the thought) they are harder to use and take more skill than a compound. and for that I commend him. He and others who shoot trad. could easily use the same argument about compounds as you all do about crossbows.

Remember there was a time when compounds were the odd bow out and had to be allowed into the fold!
Old 03-24-2005, 03:46 PM

most of you guys are to young to remember. but the compounds were built for the guys that could not hit jack with a straight or recurve bow. i have got many deer with a recurve and no sights. so i still think the the compounds should have their own season and it should not be in the regular season. to me there is no differance between the compound with it's let-off, using sights and guys using releases than the crossbow and it's trigger. so if you are going to use a compund you may as well be using a crossbow.
Old 03-24-2005, 03:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: missed_another

most of you guys are to young to remember. but the compounds were built for the guys that could not hit jack with a straight or recurve bow. i have got many deer with a recurve and no sights. so i still think the the compounds should have their own season and it should not be in the regular season. to me there is no differance between the compound with it's let-off, using sights and guys using releases than the crossbow and it's trigger. so if you are going to use a compund you may as well be using a crossbow.
TELL US YOUR REAL SCREEN NAME THERE ALIAS

Quick Reply: Legalizing Crossbows

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.