Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

first bowhunt for boar

Old 03-25-2005, 08:24 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: first bowhunt for boar

The poor penatration had to be a chance thing.Muzzy 125's and sharp within 25 yards from an average setup should pass through most hogs.Nice pics folks.
Old 03-25-2005, 03:42 PM

awesome pics everybody. I hope more will be posted. I never see enough hog pics in the bowhunting section.

I'm so jacked for my hunt this summer. Was at a friends today. Shot a hundred or so arrows, felt great. I wish all this snow would melt so we can get in the woods to do some stump shooting. We still have over a foot to 18 inches in the woods.

Kev
Old 03-25-2005, 03:59 PM
Super Moderator

Flat feet, If your bow is tuned to shoot 100 grain mechs and then you throw an old 125 gr muzzy that you had laying around and is probably dull, then I'm not suprised it performed poorly for you. Your arrow flight was probably horrible.

Anyhow, out my bow... which spits arrows at about 170ft per second, I've never had a penetration problem with the muzzys.

Here's a deer vertebra I have here on my desk. (the deer jumped the string) Remember I'm shooting a 55lb bow that is slooooowww.

Old 03-25-2005, 04:01 PM
Super Moderator

It wasn't a huge deer.... but it wasn't a tiny one either.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:47 PM
Typical Buck

Here is the 250 pounder I took in the beginning of this month in north Texas.

G5 Montec 100gr on the end of a Vital Bow Gear Warrior shaft
He went about 50 yards and piled up.
Just a note, this head was sharp enough to shave hair, and my setup is putting out 76 ft-lbs of KE and with an 8 yard shot I still did not get a pass through! That is one seriously tough critter.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:53 AM

What a hog!

Is that broadhead fixed blade or mechanical?

Where did you hit the hog?? Did you hit the shoulder plate?

Thanks, Kev
Old 03-26-2005, 06:34 AM
Typical Buck

That's a big critter redline.Which Hoyt is that?It looks simmilar to my razer tech, but then again they all look alikeAmitta I like that pic of the Muzzy that's really neat.Is that a northern Illinois doe?Most of them up here are pretty fat and big boned after a couple years.Good eats too.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:42 PM

My muzzys are tuned to hit the same as field points out to 50 yards, and when you screw on a Mechanical it hits the same as my field points too. I would never shoot anything less than a new replacement blade on any head. All animals shot were out of the same equiptment the Muzzy with a new tricore tip and replacement blade just did not perform good at all. I did do a 100% spine pass through on a hog this year he weighted 165 lbs directly under the stand!
Old 03-28-2005, 12:48 PM

I just got back from a hog hunt in Texas (my first). My impression is the hogs are hard to kill for there size. In addition, their vitals appear lower and farther forward in the chest. I shot a medium sized hog from a tree stand. It it tight behind the shoulder and about 1" above midline. Hog went down at the shot-- for about 30 seconds (I should of stuck it again). Because I could still see the fletching, I didn't want to destroy another arrow/broadhead. He got up, fell down 4 more times and ran off. We trailed it for 400 yards until he hit the swamps. My sense is I caught the top of the off lung and was in the low spine (without cutting the spinal colum)hence dropping him at the shot. I was shooting slick trick 100s. A gentleman we were hunting with shot a large hog right at dark with 100g steel force heads. He clearly caught 1 lung and left a blood trail (pink and frothy) a blind man could follow for about 400 yds. At tiimes, it left puddles of blood, and sometimes, the swath was 6" wide. For literally 375 of those 400 yards, we were expecting to find the hog around the next bush. Thereafter the trail became significantly reduced. We tracked that hog for more than mile (the next day) until the blood trail was lost in the swamps. If I hadn't been there, I'm not sure I would belive it given the blood trail. Apparently hogs can survive on one lung (I've seen this w/ elk before). Given these experiences, I would definitely shoot a good penetrating arrow and aim a ot farther forward and lower in the chest than on a deer. If you will searh on the accurate arms website, there is a thread about the anatomy of a hog with cut away pictures. If you are used to the anatomy of a deer, you are in for a surprize and maybe some disappointment. As with elk, keep shooting until they go down for good! I'm still kicking myself for trying to save a few bucks.