Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Touched a deer

Old 03-06-2005, 05:56 PM
dws

Default Touched a deer

I have a wild story you probably won't believe! Me and my wife have been waiting almost a year to buy some land 2 miles from our place. It's been tied up in an estate deal. We finally got it this week so we went there today with the kids to stake where we are going to build a new house. After we got done we walked down to the creek just to look around. I wasn't paying much attention and looked to my left and there it was, only 6 feet away. It was a little skinny deer just standing there staring right at us. It would not move at all, almost like it was caught in a trance. I walked all the way around it and it was not a pretty sight. Dogs or coyotes must have got a hold of it. It's tail was completly skinned, the left hind leg was messed up and a 6 inch patch of fur was gone on it's back. It wouldn't move it just stood there like a statue. I couldn't resist any longer, I reached out and touched it's nose, then it ran off like nothing was wrong. Scared the crap out of me. Hope we're done building by hunting season cause I'm ready to break out the stand now.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:12 PM

Default RE: Touched a deer

Cool story dws....Was the deer injured in any other way that you could tell??
Old 03-06-2005, 07:19 PM
dws

It's left eye was a little bloody but that was probably from licking her wounds. There was also a few flies on the leg, the way it looked it had to be atacked within the last couple of days. I guess it was too scared to move.
Old 03-06-2005, 11:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thats awesome hope you'll be able to see it again and find out how its doing.
Old 03-07-2005, 01:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

Neat .set up some feed for it
Old 03-07-2005, 08:48 AM

I got to touch a yearling one year too. When I grabbed his leg we scared the #$%$ out of each other.

Earlier that morning, shotgun week, I accidently dumped doe urine on my leg. I thought, no big deal, I'll just wash it out when I get back to the house. I was laying in a fence row on my stomach as I watched this young deer walk out. I decided to try and call him right to me. To my surprise, it worked. I had no intention to shoot the little guy whatsoever, so I had my shotgun a couple feet from my side. I never made eye contact with him, kind of looking to the ground, just trying to keep him barely in my view. He came right up too me, sniffed my hat and I grabbed his leg. Well, I didn't really get to "grab" his leg, more like just got a hand on it. I think we were both scared %%%%less. Funny to have one so close. I guess I'm lucky he didn't jump me. LOL.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: funeralplanner1

I got to touch a yearling one year too. When I grabbed his leg we scared the #$%$ out of each other.

Earlier that morning, shotgun week, I accidently dumped doe urine on my leg. I thought, no big deal, I'll just wash it out when I get back to the house. I was laying in a fence row on my stomach as I watched this young deer walk out. I decided to try and call him right to me. To my surprise, it worked. I had no intention to shoot the little guy whatsoever, so I had my shotgun a couple feet from my side. I never made eye contact with him, kind of looking to the ground, just trying to keep him barely in my view. He came right up too me, sniffed my hat and I grabbed his leg. Well, I didn't really get to "grab" his leg, more like just got a hand on it. I think we were both scared %%%%less. Funny to have one so close. I guess I'm lucky he didn't jump me. LOL.
Just like that moment when the springs come flying out of the thing your working on.

Good one.
Old 03-07-2005, 04:18 PM
Site Bouncer

Great stories!

I'd like to add one if I may,

Some of my friends and I like to take backpacking trips at least once a year in the summer where everything we bring is on our backs. Water filter pump, M.R.E's to eat etc... We like to get out in areas that there are no trails. We use topo maps and a compass to navigate. Well the 3rd morning out in the middle of nowhere in Sawyer county WI. I was answering the "call of nature" I had just got done and was pulling up my pants when I hear some crashing through the trees, I look up and there is a doe running right at me! I think to my self "she has to see me right?" nope! she runs right into me knocking me back against the tree I was using as a toliet, she spins around and keeps on running like nothing happened.

By far that was the strangest thing that has ever happened to me in the woods. It was more like the deer touched me than the other way around. She hit me pretty hard and slammed me back against the tree with some force. Much more than I would ever expected to get from a deer. I'm not a little guy 6'4" 325lbs and I made a living hitting and being hit by NFL linebackers so I think I know a hard impact when I get one. Now I know what it must have felt like when I used to smack around those little d-backs
Old 03-07-2005, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

sounds like a cool experience dws. hopefully it gets healthy for u by this fall.
Old 03-07-2005, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Daaaayyuummmmmmmm Bigj12!!! Lucky ya just went to the bathroom or ya might a had to clean out your trousers after that hit!!! Great story!

Quick Reply: Touched a deer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.