Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Should states recognize other states’ licenses?

Old 09-10-2002, 09:17 PM

Default RE: Should states recognize other states’ licenses?

I was looking at bow hunting NY, and found out about the class, and due to some other time constraints, I am muzzleloader hunting in NY.

I don't have a problem with it, NY residents have to take the class, right? Then why exempt non-residents just cause their state does not require the class? I don't have a problem with it, if my travel time was different I would take the class prior to going. As it is, I don't have that issue this year.

Anyway, good luck on the hunt! They have spotted a black bear and no one else is hunting them, so I guess I have decent odds on that and a deer! All private land.

--Jim
Old 09-10-2002, 10:55 PM

I agree with Rob, I think the education program is a good thing and think that all states should require some form of hunter education. I just recently took a bowhunter education course and believe that if it is taught be knowledgeable instructors even a very experienced hunter can learn a few things. Probably the toughest part of the program is having to tailor it to both kids and novices as well as experienced hunters. I would like to see a basic course taught to get your first license then a more advanced course offered later.

PS - There are a lot of hunters out there who have hunted for years and are also some of the most dangerous people in the woods. I don't see any problem requiring all hunters to take a safety course. Yeah it might be an inconvenience to somebody like Pike_Deer but if it forces somebody unsafe to take it and HOPEFULLY learn something then I'm all for it!
Old 09-11-2002, 05:50 AM

New York enacted is bowhunter education program back in 1980. At the time, I had been bowhunting for 10 years and had taken several animals including an elk (out of state of course). I attended the first class in my area, along with about 40 other people, most who had been bowhunting for years.

Did I learn anything? No, I don't think so. Was it a pain? Heck no, anything that had to do with hunting was something I looked forward to. The instructor encouraged a lot of participation and we had a good time talking about bowhunting. I think things have changed since then, and the course is longer and probably more boring, but it's still about hunting stuff. Go there with the attitude that you're going to enjoy it and you just might.

Old 09-11-2002, 06:07 AM

My only addition to this would be ...remember some states allow you to SAY "I have hunted before in order to get a license" and that is it!
Colorado is requiring a hunting safty course not specificly a bow hunters course when I went 4 years ago. I don;t know if they have changed that or not but I have my card.

Good Luck PIKE_DEER!

Greg

"Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus."

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-11-2002, 07:22 AM
Fork Horn

Amosgreg do I need one to bowhunt ohio? Going some time in oct.If I do I need to get on it.Thanks

Old 09-11-2002, 08:57 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about honoring licenses from other states but I do think that non-res fees should be standardized.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:24 AM

Need to jump in and clarify my comments. I think safety courses are great and Arizona gives you a permanent bonus point for takin the 16 hour course. I trained for the first concealed weapons pemits here and support education for all ages since an 81 year old in my class shot 2 good guys and a baby! Colorado does recognize an AZ certificate but I just haven't wanted to sit with a class of youngsters and their dads by myself. I am attending a class this fall with a freind and his 11 year old so will get it done. Also agree that being older doesn't make you smarter or more ethical. We've all seen old idiots who will take any shot on any animal. My $.02.
Old 09-11-2002, 10:30 AM

They prob. require a hunter safty course for firearms which you have already taken in your home state. So it comes down to the bow course which could be fun and may allow you to meet some others in your area who bow hunt. Never know you may get some good tips or a new hunting buddy out of the deal.

" I do not hunt to kill,but rather kill to have hunted"(quote)