Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hey guys new to bow hunting.

Old 02-15-2005, 11:58 AM

Default RE: Hey guys new to bow hunting.

Don't listen to all the people out there bad mouthing bow companies like PSE. Most of them know nothing outside the bow that they shoot. Even if they have tried out other bows their opinions are still biased. Go to your pro shop and shoot as many bows as you can and figure out which one you like best. If it happens to be a PSE then so be it, but maybe it will be a mathews, bowtech, hoyt, parker, darton . . . . Don't let someone else make the decision for you.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:09 PM

Everyone else - jesus, the kid is asking for help and all you can do is argue?? What gives?
Zak and Dan like to act like little girls sometimes.[8D]
Old 02-15-2005, 01:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

NewbHunter, you have been given some excellent advice, but with bowhunting the equipment is just one piece of the very large puzzle. I have been bowhunting since 1989 and sometimes I still feel like a new kid in a candy store when it comes to parts of bowhunting. One thing I might suggest is taking a archery education class. There you will learn about ethics and a bit about all the different equipment used in bowhunting such bows, arrows and accessories, camos, treestands, ect, ect. You will learn how a arrow and broadhead kills a animal quickly, when to shoot and where to aim, different bowhunting methods, how to follow a blood trail under all differnt types of circumstances, and on and on. I am a instructor, and I have taught both young and old. I have had many parents sit in with their kids and I knew they didn't want to be their at first. But I welcome them and encourage them to join in a share any info/tricks they have learned over the years. Many times now I have had parents come up to me and say wow I didn't know such and such thats some good advice. I too admit freely that I have learned a few things here and their from people who are more expreienced than I, but were sitting in my class with thier kid or that they needed a Bowhunters Education Cirtificate to hunt another state. BTW Education is defined by the exchange of information. Besides a class stay glued to this site and their is a wealth of info to be shared and learned here. I would also try to get my hands on a few bowhunting mags and gleam through them. The more you know the better you'll be prepared for in the field. Hope this helps, Jason
Old 02-15-2005, 03:59 PM
Typical Buck

Well i just want to say Thank You to everyones advice. Im going to be going to Bass Pro to check out some bows and im going to sign up for a bowhunting course. A while back i signed up on one but it got canceled so imma give that another try. And once again Thanks to everyone for the help and advice.

Newbhunter
Old 02-15-2005, 04:01 PM

For all of you guys bashing Wash and me, it was just a joke! I am friends with New. I told hime bout the messing around on this board.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:02 PM

My bashing was a joke too...dish it out and you shall recieve.
Old 02-15-2005, 04:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

I was on the same track as Idahoelk. I think that if you hang out with some bow hunters you'll learn what they like and don't like. I learned by buying inexpensive bows off of Ebay. This was after I was set up by a "Pro Shop" with a Pse Dakota that I could never be consistent with. Cost me $300 bucks and it wasn't worth it (a valley somewhere and no back wall). Buying those bows taught me the in an out of things. I know what I want now and that's what I ask for. If they don't have it I don't waste any more time. I've paid my "dues", you will too, but you'll be much better for it.

Enjoy a longer season and pilem up.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:55 PM

Go to a proshop. They will take the time to get the draw length and setup right. Shoot as many brands as you can. They all have good bows in thier lines. Find one that is comfortable to shoot. My one suggestion is to not go too "cheap". The old addage "you get what you pay for" is very true.