Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advantages of Carbon?

Old 02-12-2005, 11:42 AM
Fork Horn

Default Advantages of Carbon?

I know this has been discussed in the past but I still cannot make up my mind. I am shooting xx75 2314 with 67# pretty well but I cannot get carbons out of my mind. What is the biggest reason people switch to carbons? Will I get more speed? Accuracy? Will my site pins get closer together? What?

Chuck Adams still shoots xx75 but is that because they are the best or because he designed them and has intrest in them?
Old 02-12-2005, 01:24 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Advantages of Carbon?

It's a toss up really. They're a little more durable and don't get bent as easy. Yes you get more speed, shoot flatter etc but you loose mass and penetration power. Aluminums are cheaper. I shoot XX78, 2314s in one bow and ICS 340 Carbons in the other, both with the same head. One has a KE of 63 and one has a KE of 72. They both do the same job.
Old 02-12-2005, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

but you loose mass and penetration power.
C'mon David you know that's an untrue statement. I'd like to hear your proof to that statement.
Old 02-12-2005, 03:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot aluminums for quite a few years until I bought my newest bow a couple years ago. I considered aluminum, but since I had to replace everything, carbons were picked because I was told that they recover faster after leaving the bow. The slow motion video's seems to back that assessment up. My carbons have completely passed through nearly everydeer I shot with the exception of a couple of spined deer.

Another plus factor for me was durability. I have bent plenty of aluminums with grouping arrows or errent shots. That hasn't been nearly as much of a factor since I went to carbons -- and my groups are very tight.

I probably will pick up a dozen aluminums in the future for experimentation, but I'm sticking with carbons for now.
Old 02-12-2005, 05:39 PM

The biggest advantages for me is that the smaller diameter penetrates better and they are more durable than aluminum.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

Oh, yeah, don't forget that they pull from 3d targets so much easier....not.
Old 02-12-2005, 07:27 PM

With carbons you get more speed(and speed is power),better penitration, and a carbon arrow wont bend. It either is good or broke.. Go with carbons you wont be sorry. Gold tips are what I shoot.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

It either is good or broke
Just make sure you check your arrows before each shot! Carbons can get splinters and cracks in the shafts that you wont see with the naked eye unless you try and bend them or shoot them. And when you shoot them, its too late.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Carbon arrow is more durable and less mass equals more speed. Cost is two the three times the cost of premium aluminum arrows. Excellent choice for 3-D application and extended yardaged situations. Aluminum arrows less expensive, greater mass, MORE PENETRATION and any damage is visible with no possibility of having a damaged arrow explode on release on in the game. You want the best for 3-D go with carbon, you want the best for hunting, aluminum hands down.
Old 02-13-2005, 08:28 AM

Im trying to figure out if I should use one for hunting and one for 3-D Shooting, which ones do you think?

Quick Reply: Advantages of Carbon?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.