Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Kids!

Old 02-07-2005, 10:47 AM

Default Kids!

The other day I was talking to my wife about how much I respect a lot of the hunters on this board, for the time, skill, and effort put forth in hunting. I was telling her how I wish I had the time to scout and pattern and hunt a particular buck. I really admire you fellas that are able to do that, it's just awesome. I knew that she didn't give a rats rear-end about what I was saying but I didn't have a buddy nearby at the time. Anyway the conversation turned to my son who will be 5 in a couple of weeks. I told her that I'm already totally excited about being with him when he gets his first deer. I was with my wife and a best friend when they took their first deer and the feeling was great. I know with my son, it will be overwhelming!

The very next day, my son told his mom that Dad (me) was the best hunter in the world! Even though I know this isn't the case, he made me feel like I was for a few minutes. That little boy is my life and it kills me when I have to spank him.

I just wanted to share my little story.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Kids!

Great story. Family experiences like that is what it's all about. I, like you am also looking forward to bow hunting with my son.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

My feeling's are very mutual to your's ,this morning my little guy is at home sick from school and he's 7 yrs old .He was laying on the couch and I was taking some measurement off of my bow, and he say's! Dad that's the best bow I've ever seen and I can't wait till I can get one just like it ,and I'll go hunting with you. I guess he's forgotten he has a BowTech Rascal in the other room ,that's his and he can come to the 3D range with me anytime he want's .I can't wait for spring when the 2 of us can go do some 3D at the range. I'm also looking at buying a dual ladder stand for fall and maybe he can join me on a hunt or 2 this fall.

Nubo
Old 02-07-2005, 11:03 AM
Fork Horn

I've got a 9yr old step daughter that's been begging me to take her and teach her how to shoot a bow at our indoor club. She's shot 5 times in the last 3 weeks and she's hooked. She wants a blue genisus for her bday coming up here in march. I've taken her hunting rifle and bow 3 times. I asked her why she wanted to take up bow and arrow. Was it because I did it, her friends are trying it, or to go hunting? She said "I want to go hunting." YES, YES,YES!!!!! My 5 (soon to be 6) year old son loves to come down to the club with me. He wants to shoot so bad but I told him maybe this summer. He's my biggest critic. He sits there with his binoculars telling me "nice shot" or "almost". Smarty pants. Then there's my 3 year old girl. She has to do everything that her older brother does. All in all what I'm saying is always get your kids involved even if it's just taking them with. The day will come when they can do everything you can do. Maybe even better who knows.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Cool story,but let me tell you one about what can happen if you choke when you take him out. Year before last we were at home on Christmas morning putting toys together and stuff. Well I took a break and went to our dining room window only to se a nice 6 point making his way down the hill toward our house. So I decided that since it had been a bad year for me, kill wise, that I'd let him come on down the hill and my little boy could watch out the window while I shot him with my bow. Well everything worked out as planned except that when I touched the trigger the arrow sailed harmlessly under the buck and he ran off never to be seen or heard from again. Well when I went back into the house my little hero was swtanding there all long faced and ask me what happened and why the deer didn't die. Well when I admitted that I had missed he looked at me and with all of his youthful innocents and honesty said "You're really not very good are you Daddy". Well when I quit laughing I had to look at him and say " No little man Daddy is really not that good". It was and eye opening experience for the both of us.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

I might add that last week I ordered 2 more Stabilizer's from Stealth Archery 1 camo 8" for my Dually and a 4" black for the Kid's BowTech Rascal ,I also installed a Nap Micro tune 300 arrow rest and a Toxonic's sight on it , I don't mind putting out the big money to make sure they get the best .

nubo
Old 02-07-2005, 11:14 AM
Fork Horn

Nubo what's the huge deal with these stealth stabilizers? I've got a Lore and it seems to work just fine. Everyone is talking about these stealths. What's up?
Old 02-07-2005, 01:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not to cast a cloud on this thread but I thought I would share. My firstborn son just turned 4 at the end of January. December 9th he was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor. Later that month we were out sitting in a pile of leaves, enjoying a nice day that was warmer than usual. He said he wanted to look for deer, a past-time we would engage in at his grandfather's house, looking from his florida room for deer that cross his yard. So as we sat outside looking for deer he told me that when he gets bigger and bigger he was going to shoot a deer. Needless to say I was choked up.

On a brighter note, he's responding well to Chemo/radiation and his symptoms are gone. So maybe he will get that chance.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:28 PM

You lucky dog. You'll be hitting the woods about 3 years before me with my little boy.

Kids are a lot of work but well worth it. I can't wait for the day I can put a bow in his hand.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:34 PM

cant wait till i have a kid

Quick Reply: Kids!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.