Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Fletching Removal

Old 02-07-2005, 06:09 AM

Default Fletching Removal

I recently began fletching my carbon arrow. Once I have removed the remains of the old fletching, I have a difficult time getting the adhesive and/or glue of the arrow. Does anyone know if there is a solvent that would take the the adhesive off without harming the carbon? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks Again!
Old 02-07-2005, 07:03 AM

Default RE: Fletching Removal

i just take a knife and scrape it off, then take a very fine grit sandpaper amd sand it off. it works great and i have never had a problem.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:36 PM

I do the very same as deer hunter..It takes a little time and you have to be careful not to gouge your arrow. I've tried acetone before. It didn't work..[>:]
Old 02-07-2005, 12:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

There is a solvent that will help remove the super glues.

But, check this out. Recently on AT there was a guy that came up with a brilliant idea to remove vanes and the glue. We've all used one and most of us have one in the kitchen.

A POTATOE PEELER!
Old 02-07-2005, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Any good ideas on getting the taped-on cresting material off?

I dropped off a dozen arrows for fletching/cresting, as I didn't have the time to do it - unbeknownst to me, they quit painting shafts and now use a really bad looking tape. Also to my dismay, they didn't use enough glue and the feathers area halfway to falling off. Looked like a third grader's attempt at a nice cresting.

I just want to clean down to the bare carbon shafts and airbrush and fletch myself. I'm afraid that any chemicals or small cuts may weaken the shaft.

Any advice would be helpful.
Old 02-07-2005, 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: bigbulls

There is a solvent that will help remove the super glues.

But, check this out. Recently on AT there was a guy that came up with a brilliant idea to remove vanes and the glue. We've all used one and most of us have one in the kitchen.

A POTATOE PEELER!

Be very carefull and only go towards the nock i started at the nock once using the potato peeler and damaged the arrow. So i now just use a knife.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I just want to clean down to the bare carbon shafts and airbrush and fletch myself. I'm afraid that any chemicals or small cuts may weaken the shaft.
i would just use a razorblade, if yo ugo lightly the chance of damaging the shaft are extremely slim. Also I would just use acetone after that to make sure you get a good clead surface.
Old 02-07-2005, 05:25 PM

If it is just the adhesive you need to remove, then acetone will do the trick. I've even used my wife's fingernail polish remover. [8D] After that I follow up with rubbing alcohol. Works fine for me.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:32 PM

A POTATO PEELER????????That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard[>:]
Old 02-07-2005, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

A POTATO PEELER????????That is the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard
Have you tried it?

Be very carefull and only go towards the nock i started at the nock once using the potato peeler and damaged the arrow. So i now just use a knife.
Well of course you only go towards the nock. Why would you even think about atempting it the other way? Knife, razor blade, or potatoe peeler..... always go towards the nock so you don't cut under the carbon fibers.

Quick Reply: Fletching Removal

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.