Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What do you think of my form.

Old 02-06-2005, 06:48 PM

Default What do you think of my form.

Just was wondering, what do you all thought of my shooting form? I started archery leauge last year with my dad. I was three when I started shooting, now I am five and this picture was taken last year during youth archery league.

Ok guys, I couldn't resist posting a couple of pictures of my little man. He has been shooting bow now for two years, he just turned five this Jan. Don't most of you wish you would have started this young? I know I do!! He loves to shoot, and everyone at youth league has a ball with him, as he is the youngest archer that they have there by 2 or three years. The neat part is that he can really shoot that thing. At his rate, he will be out shooting his old man by next year.

Take your kids hunting and you wont have to go hunting for your kids
Old 02-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Default RE: What do you think of my form.

o mean im only 21 but cant wait to have a little one like that to take shooting wiht me!!! tell him to keep at it he will be the next IBO world champion!!!
Old 02-06-2005, 06:54 PM

Great follow through!
Old 02-06-2005, 07:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Very cool stuff. My parents had me start young but not quite that young. I was started at around 8 years old and definately think that is why I love it so much to this day. Can't wait to have a little one to get started in the sport..........
Old 02-06-2005, 08:44 PM

hansom kid glad to see them out that young
Old 02-07-2005, 12:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Started when he was 3???
My 2 YO watches me shoot and always helps me pull the arrows. When I'm wore out he says "dadda shoot more". I always say "draw, anchor, aim, release" as I shoot. He says "acorn,acorn!"

So what bow did you start him with at 3??? I NEED TO GET ONE!!!

Great job with him BTW
Old 02-07-2005, 06:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yea Bud, he looks great. It seems to come natural for the little guys. Seems like us older folk have to work a bit harder. Way to go keeping him traditional while he is young! I believe in the same thing.When he gets a bit older, he can make his own choice. Here is my guy at age seven. I couldn't resist either!

Old 02-07-2005, 08:13 PM

Thanks everyone for the posts. We have archery leauge tomorrow night, and allready its all he talkes about. LOVE IT!!!!
Bobco, Great picture! Yep, I think traditional is the way to go to get them into it. Something easy to pull and mushy. Teaches them form and a good release before switching to the compound if thats what he wants to do. Like you said too, I will let him make that decision when it comes time. I just started shooting traditional the last three years and just love it! I took my first deer with it this winter. So maybe he will stick to the traditional think a bit longer if I'm doing it too. Great group too!!

Dave, here is what got for my son when when he got started in archery.
I bought one of those inexpensive fiberglass recurve(long) bows. They come with I think two red fiberglass arrows, a plastic/leather looking arrow quiver, and a finger tab. Sorry I can't remember the brand. I didn't think much of the arrows, they are really heavy for a light weight bow, and they fily like...well they just didn't do it for me. I went and got some Easton #1712's and got them cut a little longer than his draw. At this age they grow so fast I cut them about 8" longer than he needed. Ok, second thing I did to the arrows is take off the plactic vanes that they came with, they didn't fly all that great either, and taught my boy how to fletch an arrow by putting on some small feathers. Yep, he fletches his own arrows too!!The kind some of the indoor guys use. Now when you try to nock these arrows on the string they will not fit, the string is too small of a diameter. So I took some of my serving string I had and served the string, which is really light weight rope. Put a couple of nocks on it (one above the arrow, and one below)and they fit on it like a charm. The finger tab that comes with the pack didn't work well for my boy. So he just shoots with this bare fingers. After a few shots he said that his fingers started to hurt. I couldn't find a glove small enough for him, so I took some black electrician tape and wraped it above the nock, and below. You can see it in the second picture I posted. Wa-la! It shoots them light aluminum arrows like a charm, and his fingers don't hurt a bit when he shoots. All in all I know I spent more on the arrows then the bow, but it shoots so much better with them you can't believe it. Thats it.

Thanks again everyone.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:14 PM

What do you think of my form.
Much better than mine, LOL!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good Job getting him out there. My son started at 4 1/2 and last year at age 6, he got 2 nd in the MN State Archery tournament. Now 7, and he just qualified for this years State Tournament. He set the State record three times in the last month. Saturday he shot 286 with 26 x's for the new MN state record. State tourney is in about 6 weeks....he can't wait...he says he's going to shoot 290! My daughter 4 1/2 just qualified for state also...she can't wait!

Keep them shooting!

Quick Reply: What do you think of my form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.