Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Dumb Dumbs

Old 02-05-2005, 05:50 PM
dws

Default Dumb Dumbs

I was down at Basspro in Cincinnati today to get some fishing supplies and trolling motor parts. I went upstairs to the archery department just to look around. I overheard the salesman talking to a customer that had never had a bow before. He talks him into a bow 26 inch drawlength, the guy was almost my size and I use 28 inch. Then the salesman goes to get the last one they had of that model, gets it out of the box, starts doing his thing with it and DRY FIRES it. There was a pretty good noise from the bow and the string got messed up pretty good. He tells the guy they don't have a new string for it so he can knock off 15% and it should only cost him $15 to get a new string put on somewhere else. I couldn't keep quiet any longer, I doubt if that salesman ever had or ever will have someone talk to him the way I did. After I made him feel like he was lower than snailsh!t I gave the customer the name of a shop not too far away from there where he would be treated right. I have had enough of that place, they can stick all their rods and reels where the sun don't shine. Sorry, I just had to vent.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Dumb Dumbs

Good move dws...you definitely done the guy a favor! Funny how anytime the last one they have is in question...its the absolute best.
Old 02-05-2005, 06:49 PM

Pro Shops need our support, they have the experts and they have the indoor ranges. I know you can't buy everything there, especially specialized hard to get stuff that they just don't want to stock, BUT there is no reason to buy a good bow anywhere else! A pro shop will set it up for you and stand behind the manufacturers warranty if something goes wrong.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:24 PM

I've come to the cocclusion that most of the proshop bow techs around here have about as much sense as a fence post..The last one I talked to tried to tell me a straight fletch arrow will fly better than any helical fletch..he also said My broadheads were way to heavy for elk..I shoot thunderheads 125's right now..Any way he thought I needed to buy some 85's....I told him to run one of those 85 grain satelite heads right up his ass and tell me where the blood trail leads..I do all my work myself..this way if something goes wrong,I know who to blame..good luck to all this hunting season..It cant come soon enough.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:53 PM

I took my dauhter out today bow shopping. i deal with Potter county outfitters in Coudersport,PA. I thought it was gonna be a challenge trying to set her up being the age of 10. After a couple of hours of looking and talking, between the 3 of us she is getting the Rintec from Hoyt. This guy was great to deal with and willing to work with you and ans. questions that were off the wall. I guess my point is the smaller shops are more for the 1 on 1 service were the larger ones are for the volume of sales....... just my 2 cents
Old 02-05-2005, 08:01 PM

Sounds like my first trip to a bowshop. I wish someone would have done that for me.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:40 PM

Ive run into the same thing at the Bass Pro in Springfield, every time you want to look at something and have questions about it, the people working there dont have a clue, usually just college kids working for some extra cash. I can usually tell them more about what they are selling than they can tell me. It is much better to go to a good proshop who knows what they are doing and what they are selling.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:51 PM

Good job dws! It's people like you that keep out line of archery in check. I encourage all of you guys to speak up when you hear BS!
Old 02-05-2005, 08:54 PM

big shops are just looking to sell not to benifit you the hunter. last year when i was 15 i went into cabelas here in PA. i knew what i wanted but my local dealer couldn't get it in and said cabelas had them in stock. me and my dad told the guy at the counter what we where looking for and he came out with 3 guns different then what i wanted trying to bs me into thinking they where better and what "i really needed" so i looked along the racks and said no i am looking to buy that remington 700 bdl in 243 down there. well he then brought it over and wouldn't let me handle it to see if i liked the feel. well i just walked out of the store and ended up buying a winchester in 243 from my local dealer. i hate when people treat you like you don't know anything because your young. the large shops have lots of good stuff just no staff to sell it.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I read this correctly ,you said the technician Dry Fired this bow and then said he'd sell it to him with 15% discount because he didn't have a string for it ,not to mention that he dry fired it and there could be internal damages. This is exactly why people should go to a pro shop before they look anywhere for a new bow total inexperience .It's quite obvious that the guy that worked for the store hadn't a clue to what damage he had or could have actually caused to this bow, and 15% because it had no string GREAT now what does anyone do with a bow with no Freaking string .I sure hope you straightened the buyer out or convinced him that this would be a very bad buy for him . This is like the blind leading the blind in this case .If this person was to buy this bow and put a new string on it and still the bow wasn't working right and he had to send it back ,They wouldn't cover his warranty because they would know that it was a dry fire and they're not considered a manufacturer defect. I'm sure he could raise enough hell about it and get it fixxed at a lesser rate, but not without getting a serious migrane to go with it .
I hope you were able to reach this guy and make him understand that this would be a big big mistake for him to buy that bow at any discount. Glad you stepped up to the plate when you seen this happen .

I need to add this as well not all pro shop staff member's have any clue either .I was at a shop in the last weekend with Terry M. The kid behind the counter was talking to me about the BowTech Allegiance and he said that he wouldn't have one coming in my size, unless I ordered it ,but he would have one at 28" .I said to him that my draw is 28" and he began to tell me how I couldn't possibly be that length . I got the drift, and walked away from him. I've been shooting at 28" ever since I started, and his boss was the one that measured me in the first place .
I wasn't about to stand and argue with this kid ,he never took a measurement, but he was able to tell me that I should be a 27" draw exactly, just by looking at me .I explained to him that I needed another 1/2 "on my 28" draw and he said well you look like a 27" to me . I'm just glad that he's so experienced that he could tell my draw without taking a measurement. Now can you see if a guy looking at bow's that doesn't know better ,how he could fall into making a bad decision .
So even in the pro shop's their help can be inexperienced as well ,so it help's for you to have someone who know's about bow's before you go to either a pro shop or a BassPro . We take it for grantite that these people in the shop's know what they're doing. Most experienced bowhunter's and archer's can pick these guy's out ,but new bowhunter's and archer's need to have experienced help with them when they go shopping ,or at least know exactly what their measurement's are before they go.

nubo

Quick Reply: Dumb Dumbs

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.