Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Help with my form.

Old 02-04-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Help with my form.

So I've been working on my form recently, and this is what it's like now. The only thing I can see is that I may want to shorten my drawlength by about a half-inch, but I'll do that when I order my new string. Included are before and after photos, let me know what you guys think. Any advice is appreciated!

Before:

After:
Old 02-04-2005, 04:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Help with my form.

Looks fine to me. Are you shooting good?
Old 02-04-2005, 04:56 PM

Looks more "stable" than before. Are you getting in string slap with your new form?
Old 02-04-2005, 06:01 PM

ORIGINAL: B-TechRapture

Looks more "stable" than before. Are you getting in string slap with your new form?
I haven't had any string slap since the first couple weeks I started shooting a compound, actually. Started unlocking my arm and turning my elbow out and it's been fine.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:02 PM

ORIGINAL: Tarheel_Hunter

Looks fine to me. Are you shooting good?
For now I am, if I start shooting spots at all I'll need to work on things a bit more. Out to 40 yards I'm in the size of a golf ball, at 50 I'm in a softball sized area.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

Just a suggestion........tension in your hands causes tension in the rest of your body.
Relax your hands, obviously you are not gripping either the bow or the release but there is no need to keep your fingers stretched out. Let them droop and relax.....just let your fingers relax and watch where they go.
You just look "Tense".
Also I can't tell for sure but it looks like your wrist strap is riding against the back of your hand? It should not impart any influence at all on your grip and if you can tell it's there, it probably is. Also it looks like you are "Heeling" the grip quite a bit.

All of the above cause torque and inconsistency.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:30 PM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

Just a suggestion........tension in your hands causes tension in the rest of your body.
Relax your hands, obviously you are not gripping either the bow or the release but there is no need to keep your fingers stretched out. Let them droop and relax.....just let your fingers relax and watch where they go.
You just look "Tense".
Also I can't tell for sure but it looks like your wrist strap is riding against the back of your hand? It should not impart any influence at all on your grip and if you can tell it's there, it probably is. Also it looks like you are "Heeling" the grip quite a bit.

All of the above cause torque and inconsistency.
Josh Keller suggested I start shooting with a High Wrist Grip, tried it, but got a lot of string slap in the process so I went back to the way I used to shoot. Do you think I should give it another shot? I may look a little tense do to the fact that I had only 5 seconds to draw, level, and aim in these shots. Thats what I get for using a cheap web cam. You're right about the strap, it does touch the back of my wrist, but not so much that I think it causes inconsitency. I'll lossen it a bit more though just to make sure.

Thanks for the advice folks, keep it coming!
Old 02-04-2005, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think if you are shooting good then stick with it. I went through a phase of trying a bunch of different techniques/forms and found out if I just let my body do what its been trained to do I shoot a lot better. I would just practice, practice, practice and not be too picky. Different people are effective using different methods.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:05 PM

ORIGINAL: thenuge15

I think if you are shooting good then stick with it. I went through a phase of trying a bunch of different techniques/forms and found out if I just let my body do what its been trained to do I shoot a lot better. I would just practice, practice, practice and not be too picky. Different people are effective using different methods.
Well, I'm really just trying to see what other people think because if I just let my body do what it's been "trained to" I may be doing something wrong. If I have been practicing bad habits that anyone can fix by looking at a picture, then I'd like to try and fix them.

Practice doesn't make perfect, perfect practice makes perfect as the saying goes...
Old 02-04-2005, 09:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see a few things. I see that your bow has a stabilizer on it. I assume its of the recoil reducing type. You also have a relatively new bow, and I dont think it has a ton of recoil to being with. Ditch the wrist strap. Relax your fingers around the grip.

That mid/high wrist I showed you is a great was to reduce any torqueing you may have. It was also in effect, shorten your draw about a half inch, which will help with string slap.

Quick Reply: Help with my form.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.