Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another, "What would you do?"

Old 02-04-2005, 07:35 AM
Typical Buck

Default Another, "What would you do?"

You lived out of state and don't even hunt in the area that your "good friend" for many many years hunts in. It's a spot he's hunted for 10+ years and has taken a few whoppers from and every opening morning tags his first deer from. Your friend moved out of state but still returns each year to bowhunt and you know these areas through him and shed hunt there. You end up finding a nice set with in 100 to 150 yards of his stand. Question 1, Is that area now your new hunting area and is the deer now "your deer" because you found it's shed? Question 2, If you knew he was going to hunt it the coming up week, would you jump in days before and kill a buck he was after the year before? Question 3, Do you see "respect" and "trust" two things that are a part of "hunter ethics"

Now I understand I don't own the deer that run the woods nor do make any claims on deer I see until my arrow/bullet ends it days of walking the woods. To me it's a RESPECT/TRUST issue! I've never had to stoop so low or stab a buddy in the back for anything let alone a deer[:-]. I'm feel I'm a good enough hunter that I don't need to jump on somebody else's honeyholes they've worked hard for. I find my own areas to hunt in and rely on my own skills.

Question 4, Now, what would do or how would you feel if it was a family member that did this to you?

I felt betrayed
Old 02-04-2005, 08:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Another, "What would you do?"

I know how you feel. I have a hunting buddy that is just CLUELESS when it comes to this sort of thing. (He's clueless about quite a few other things in regard to tact ) We grew up together so I put up with it. We were hunting some new property my uncle leased and had chosen our respective areas and had been hunting them for about 3 days. He was on a spot he liked and I had a nice fjord of a creek with hardwoods that I was hunting. One morning I was trying a different area and he got down from his stand early and decided to do a little more scouting. At lunch he told me he had found a good area with a creek crossing with lots of sign. I told him "I know, that's where I've been hunting." That should have been all that was needed to be said. But no, he thought he would like to hunt that spot. I decided I would be big and not push the issue and hunt a different spot. Then he wanted to hunt it again the next day. He WOUNDED two nice bucks out of that spot. (he's not very good with primative weapons). These days I use the subtlety of a 2x4 because he just doesn't get it. (you know the type, always has to be in the front of the boat fishing new water)
Old 02-04-2005, 08:49 AM
Typical Buck

Maybe it like booze, drugs and all of those other addicting things. Nothing wrong with being addicted to hunting (I am) but when you get to the point of back stabbin & cutting others throats over it, it becomes sad.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

It depends, I have a few poeple i hunt and fish with that I dont take to my favorite spots for just that reason. Then again i have some that we share everything, and if one of these guys did it to me or viseaversa there would be no hard feeling. Plus there would probably be alot of celabrating that night with you know who as the host!!!! On that note we would most definetly call each other with our intentions though.
Old 02-04-2005, 01:46 PM
Dominant Buck

It wouldn't bother me a bit. You can't hunt everyday of your life. My wife has told me this many of times as I'm walking out the door. I share my spots with my friends, just as they share their spots. I assure you they are great spots. If this is becoming a problem you all need to find new spots. It's your decision if you want to share it.
Old 02-04-2005, 02:35 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'm from the old school ,NO
Old 02-04-2005, 05:21 PM

I hunt with friends and family on my parents land. We all share in the work of seting up and maintaining blinds and the whole place for that matter. Even though we have blinds that we call our own we hunt each others on different occasions, and if one of these guys kill a monster out of my blind i am happy for them and them for me if the situaton is reversed, but thats how we have done it for years and i am thankful for it. On the other hand i have buddies that would fall over dead if someone killed a deer while hunting in their blind so i guess to each their own.
Old 02-04-2005, 06:43 PM

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

You lived out of state and don't even hunt in the area that your "good friend" for many many years hunts in. It's a spot he's hunted for 10+ years and has taken a few whoppers from and every opening morning tags his first deer from. Your friend moved out of state but still returns each year to bowhunt and you know these areas through him and shed hunt there. You end up finding a nice set with in 100 to 150 yards of his stand. Question 1, Is that area now your new hunting area and is the deer now "your deer" because you found it's shed? Question 2, If you knew he was going to hunt it the coming up week, would you jump in days before and kill a buck he was after the year before? Question 3, Do you see "respect" and "trust" two things that are a part of "hunter ethics"

Now I understand I don't own the deer that run the woods nor do make any claims on deer I see until my arrow/bullet ends it days of walking the woods. To me it's a RESPECT/TRUST issue! I've never had to stoop so low or stab a buddy in the back for anything let alone a deer[:-]. I'm feel I'm a good enough hunter that I don't need to jump on somebody else's honeyholes they've worked hard for. I find my own areas to hunt in and rely on my own skills.

Question 4, Now, what would do or how would you feel if it was a family member that did this to you?

I felt betrayed
1. If your friend says that he is OK with you hunting the same area he hunts then you will both share the woods and the deer in the woods.

2. If he knows you'll be hunting there and is OK with it, there is no need to feel like you're killing his deer. If he is a true friend he will be just as happy if you kill a deer instead of him.

3. Respect and Trust are not only parts of hunting ethics but also friendship. As I said before, if he respects you and trusts you then he should have no problem with you hunting in the same area and he shouldn't be mad if you kill a deer there.

4. My father shot a 4x4 whitetail out of a stand I placed for us this past spetember. We had both seen this buck on several occasions in the previous months and we had both agreed that if one of us got a shot at him we would take it. I was extremely happy to see him get it, though i would have liked to have gotten it myself. The buck scored a little over 120" inches. I didn't get a buck this season, but knowing my dad got a nice buck was enough for me.

Question; I must have missed something in your story/questions... Why is it you feel betrayed?
Old 02-04-2005, 07:41 PM
Typical Buck

I guess it's nice to see a few of you are so liberal with sharing hunting area. I am too but only to a few people like Raymond, Jim anmd my brother Rob! true friends and family with hunting ethics.

1. If your friend says that he is OK with you hunting the same area he hunts then you will both share the woods and the deer in the woods.

2. If he knows you'll be hunting there and is OK with it, there is no need to feel like you're killing his deer. If he is a true friend he will be just as happy if you kill a deer instead of him.

3. Respect and Trust are not only parts of hunting ethics but also friendship. As I said before, if he respects you and trusts you then he should have no problem with you hunting in the same area and he shouldn't be mad if you kill a deer there.

4. My father shot a 4x4 whitetail out of a stand I placed for us this past spetember. We had both seen this buck on several occasions in the previous months and we had both agreed that if one of us got a shot at him we would take it. I was extremely happy to see him get it, though i would have liked to have gotten it myself. The buck scored a little over 120" inches. I didn't get a buck this season, but knowing my dad got a nice buck was enough for me.

Question; I must have missed something in your story/questions... Why is it you feel betrayed?
1. The area is where I hunt, not the person I'm writing about. He shed hunts there but that all. There was no sharing because only I hunted there.

2. It's my hunting spot so when he found out I was coming in to hunt it he jumped in first. I wasn't OK with nothing. Probably did it just because he knows I'm good enough and would end up shooting the deer he claimed because he found it's sheds.

3. Respect and Trust.......I know what it means, it's the other person in this scenario that need to figure it out.

4. Can't comment on that seeing it would open up another big can of worms and I'd more than likely get booted from this forum. If I was hunting with my Dad, nephew, brother or my best friend than I agree with 100%. The thing is wasn't hunting with this person and haven't for the past 5 years.

Why is it I feel betrayed? THIS PERSON WAS FAMILY! If you can't trust family who in the #%!! can you trust? All he had to do was ask if he could hunt with us and it would have been a different story. Could have hunted all week with us and would have learned a few more AWESOME hunting areas. Instead GREED got the best of him and now look, he'll NEVER HEAR ANYTHING FROM ME AGAIN IN REGARDS TO HUNTING OR FISHING.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:47 PM

ORIGINAL: MK-M-GOBL

I guess it's nice to see a few of you are so liberal with sharing hunting area. I am too but only to a few people like Raymond, Jim anmd my brother Rob! true friends and family with hunting ethics.

1. The area is where I hunt, not the person I'm writing about. He shed hunts there but that all. There was no sharing because only I hunted there.

2. It's my hunting spot so when he found out I was coming in to hunt it he jumped in first. I wasn't OK with nothing. Probably did it just because he knows I'm good enough and would end up shooting the deer he claimed because he found it's sheds.

3. Respect and Trust.......I know what it means, it's the other person in this scenario that need to figure it out.

4. Can't comment on that seeing it would open up another big can of worms and I'd more than likely get booted from this forum. If I was hunting with my Dad, nephew, brother or my best friend than I agree with 100%. The thing is wasn't hunting with this person and haven't for the past 5 years.

Why is it I feel betrayed? THIS PERSON WAS FAMILY! If you can't trust family who in the #%!! can you trust? All he had to do was ask if he could hunt with us and it would have been a different story. Could have hunted all week with us and would have learned a few more AWESOME hunting areas. Instead GREED got the best of him and now look, he'll NEVER HEAR ANYTHING FROM ME AGAIN IN REGARDS TO HUNTING OR FISHING.
Ah, well I see now. I too would feel like you do if I hadn't given the OK beforehand. I assumed that you had, that's what I get for assuming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.