Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice for young hunter...

Old 02-03-2005, 06:40 PM
Fork Horn

Default Advice for young hunter...

Here's my situation:
My daughter has been hunting with me for the last three years. She'll be 12 this year and ready and legal to hunt with her own bow. I'm getting her the Micro Midas III, she draws 30lbs. and has a draw legnth of 21".
Here's the problem:
I was told that her "numbers" aren't high enough to be on th charts to tell me what size arrows (carbon) to get her or what grain broadheads to get.
I figured I'd get her carbon arrows for faster arrow speed at such a low draw weight. Is that a good idea? I also figured on getting her fixed blades (probably 85 g. Muzzys). I shoot mechanical, but I thought again with her draw weight so low that there might be a problem with mechanicals not opening.
I'd appreciate all comments and advice...
Old 02-03-2005, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Advice for young hunter...

I didn't know you could hunt with that low of a draw wieght in Mi. Here in Ohio it's a min. of 40. Never gave it much thought but is 30 enough.

Hope you both have many years together.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:19 PM

I personally think what you have siad will be fine. A fixed blade should do the job at 30#'s just fine. I misread what you said...edited by me..LOL
Old 02-03-2005, 07:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I wouldn't rule out aluminums and a 2 blade cut on contact broadhead and shots limited to 20 yds TOPS. She's not going to be shooting real far with that setup regardless of carbon or alum, so the added momentum of a heavier alum, may help penetration. Good luck to her.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

I have two Hoyt Banchees for my two boys. One is 20 lbs. the other is 40 lbs. I will say 40 lbs. zips a arrow pretty quick. Its kind of the border though on being enough to take down a deer. It is a 40 lb law here in Ohio. I would not think anything less would be good for a clean kill. Plus you would not want to discourage a young hunter with wounded deer. Its great to hear you will have a little hunting partner for years to come.
Old 02-03-2005, 07:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

30 will kill a deer if you hit it behind the shoulder, and if you hit the shoulder it shouldn't really hurt it that bad. I would get her shooting during the offseason not only to get her proficient but see if you can bump that Draw up to 35-40. I would also recommend a two blade broadhead for due to penetration issues.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

30 will kill from 20yds or closer on a broadside shot only i wouldnt want that on a quartering deer i just dont think u'd get the penetration needed. I would want atleast 40 to hunt with. I would recomend a premium 2 blade cut on contact broadhead. The magnus stinger would be the best head u could get for that setup comes razor sharp and is a true preformer! best of luck to your daughter in her hunting adventures!
Old 02-04-2005, 06:40 AM
Giant Nontypical

My advice like others is limit shot distance. Besides her bow limitations, her skills should also be taken into consideration, could be less then 20 yards. Also, I'd advise to use a heavy arrow small outside diameter, thick walled arrow with a two bladed cut on contact head.

The position of the game will be very important, so shot selection should not be taken lightly.
Old 02-04-2005, 07:01 AM

I think that is very cool for you that your young daughter enjoys hunting with her Dad.

Just a thought, 30 lbs of draw is really at the very bottom and in some cases not legal to hunt with. I'm not sure if the MicroMidas has adjustable poundage, but I would think that a summer of practice with her Dad in the back yard added to some meat and potatoes plus a bit of that growing like a weed at that age and you probably could have her drawing 40 lbs by this fall. At 40 lbs many of the penetration concerns will be addressed as MANY deer have been killed by arrows being pushed by 40 lbs of draw. Even 35 lbs of draw weight by Fall would be a big improvement and I agree with a previous post, you wouldn't want her first experience to be a bad one based on equipment performance.

If she is limited to 30 lbs this fall, perhaps you could skip some deer hunting and chase turkey or small game with her new bow?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:31 AM

I wouldn't do it, but if you did I would go with a heavier arrow for the momentum. I would agree that 30 lbs may get the job done out of a specific bow or set up. However I think we are over looking the draw length. 30 lbs and 21 inches of draw! That is a VERY light set up. That would be like hunting with a 30 lb crossbow. I wouldn't want to try it on live game, especially not something the size of deer. If you do let us know how it works out.

I'm sure it would work, I mean you could kill one with a .22 if you wanted to, I just wouldn't try it is all.

Good luck,
Paul

Quick Reply: Advice for young hunter...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.