Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Carbon Arrow Spine

Old 02-03-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Carbon Arrow Spine

This is probably a stupid question but if two carbon arrows have the same weight, will there spine be relatively the same? More specifically, here is my situation. I am currently shooting Beman Hunters 400's which are at 9.1 grains. Furthermore, they are 28" and I am shooting at 60 lbs. I was looking at trying some Gold Tip shafts but their chart recommend 55 lbs-75 lbs would be 8.2 grains. However, I would prefer to stay in the low to mid 9 range as far as weight. Though they have a 8.9 grain arrow it is recommended for 75 lbs - 95 lbs. Do I need to pay close attention to manufacture recommendations or purchase arrows by weight? Due to the fact that different manufactures use different materials and processes, I would assume that you can not judge spine by weight alone. None the less, I would appreciate some education and/or advice for determining correct spine and weight when comparing various arrow shafts. Thanks Again, Ron
Old 02-04-2005, 06:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Carbon Arrow Spine

if two carbon arrows have the same weight, will there spine be relatively the same?
Not necessarily, type of material, manufacturing process, wall thickness, and outside diameter can all effect the deflection rating.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:24 AM

Bobco is right. With the GT shafts you can buy inserts to adjust the weight of the shafts.
http://www.goldtip.com/products/fami...&rnd=129201952

It's one option but you're bow will produce the same ke with a slightly lighter shaft as it will with the heavier shaft.

I shoot the 7595 Gt Advantage prohunters and I'm shooting 74lbs. The arrows react well off my bow but if you're only shooting 60lbs I think you'd be in for a tuning nightmare if you bought the 7595 shafts.
Old 02-04-2005, 08:55 AM

If you shop around you can get carbons in just about any weight you want. I think Gold Tip has some different versions of thier arrows as well with different weights. Most carbons are heavier in the camo version as well. Not always, but most of time. If you like the GT's they may have the weight you want in a different model arrow.

Also depending on what your set up is the arrow may be stiff any way. So going a notch up really wouldn't affect anything but your weight. The numbers on the arrows and the charts are sort of missleading sometimes. Lets say I have a carbon arrow that is a 45/60. This means it will spine up 60 lbs, normally at 28 inches. Well I don't shoot 28 inches, I shoot 26 inches. And let's say I shoot at the lower end of those specs, say 45 or 50 lbs. Sure the arrow chart shows it working with my bow, but if you follow the chart farther you see that at my arrow length this arrow will actually spine up to about 70 lbs. So that means with my set up it is WAY stiff. However stiff arrows are better then weak ones. You may have a little trouble getting your practice tips to hit with your fixed blades, but you may be able to tune them close enough. I have shot very stiff arrows out of my set up and tuned it, so it can be done.

What is wrong with your bemans that you want to switch to Gold Tips just out of curiousity? Or do you just want to try something different?

Paul
Old 02-04-2005, 09:19 AM

Ok, I just did some checking, Gold tip doesn't offer as many arrows as I thought they did, but they do have a traditional series that has a .400 spine and weigh a tad over 9 grns per inch. They look like wood arrows, but are not. So they would work if you wanted to try them. However, like I said if you shop around you can get carbons even heavier if you want.

I am assuming the bemans you have are camo, right? If not they don't weigh as much as you think they do. You can also get weight tubes to put in your arrows as well, or just use weedeater cord. Then you can match all your arrows in weight as close as you want to. I have tried it, it works pretty well.

Remember if you get heavier inserts it effects your tip weight which will increase your FOC and weaken your spine. Just like putting a heavier tip on them. With the tube or weedeater cord it distrubutes the weight more inside your arrow.

I don't think the weight difference is that big of a deal any way. It only works out to around 25 or 30 grns difference for a finnished arrow. That is the difference between using a 100 grn and a 125 grn head. Both arrows are in the same weight range pretty much. Unless I am looking at the wrong arrows or something.

Paul
Old 02-05-2005, 06:35 AM

I Just Wanted To Try Something Different?