Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Oh the carbons

Old 01-31-2005, 10:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Oh the carbons

If the carbons you are having problems with aren't getting pass throughs because they aren't heavy enough then going to the 2219 won't help any.

Given everything else is equal the carbon will penetrate better than an aluminum shaft of the same weight.

I highly suspect that the bow is not tuned just right to the carbon arrows or you are shooting a bunch of animals in the shoulder blade but even then you should be getting through the deer.

I shoot the terminator select arrows, which I believe is the same arrow you are talking about, and blow through deer like a hot knife through butter.

There is something else wrong besides the arrows.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are they the Terminator 45/60, or 60/75? I tried some Terminators that were underspined and while they appeared to fly decently straight, penetration in a foam target went WAY down compared to my PSE Pro's.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

Read this article:

http://www.bowsite.com/bowsite/featu...tion/index.cfm

You'll most likely find you're worrying about nothing. Check your setup with the carbons and make sure everything is in tune and your penetration problems will most likely correct themselves.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:33 PM

ewolf:

Just Out Of Curiosity, What Are You Shooting ? I Am Shooting 28" Beman 9.1 With 100 Grain Fixed Broadheads At 60 Lbs. I Can't Get Pass Throughs At 15-20 Yards. I Have Been Thinking About Making A Change In Shafts Or Broadheads. I Know It's Not a Tuning Issue. It Shoots Bullet Holes Thru Paper From 8 Feet Out To 35 Yards. My Spine Is Pretty Good For My Setup As Well. I Bare Shafted Tuned At 25 Yards And The Shafts Along With The Feathered Arrows Were Within A 2 Inch Group. I Am Not Sure What To Do But I Am Going To Do Some Experimenting And Possibly Make A Change.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:39 PM

I shoot a 60lb bow, 27 inch draw length with approx. 400grain arrows and the last 7 deer I have shot have been pass throughs. I've NEVER had a problem with penetration with ANY carbon or aluminum using ANY setup. IMO, you are the problem, not the equipment.

I say last 7 b/c that is as far as I can remember for sure, going back 3 seasons. Before that, I would have to dig through by log book.
Old 02-01-2005, 04:55 PM

you guys must shoot and deer and never hit a rib because i have with 8 grains per inch carbons and maybe get one lung if lucky and thats at twenty yards. Maybe its these northern 235pound minnesota bucks. My bow cut bullets with these new 13grains per inch. Ive just got these just seeing if i made a mistake staying with carbons. Maybe these will help. Only 9 months will tell.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have blown through elk ribs with the terminators ,28.5 inches and a 125 grain muzzy. A deer rib should be no match for one either. Almost all my elk are pass throughs. I like to shoot them a little high and a little farther back then most but I can catch both lungs and anything else in the way. I would shoot through a chrono and use the formula for figuring out KE. I am pushing 81 foot pounds of KE. Far above what is recommended for elk but I can be assured of pass throughs on a good broad side shot.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:27 PM

my hoyt is at set at 54 pounds and i am getting about 210-230 fps and both my achery kills where clean pass throughs. one was a quatering away shot at 22 yards where it slighty hit the off shoulder coming out but no mayjor bone other then ribs.

so i don't see how you are haveing troubles with pass throughs on close up broadside shots.

if you are close to getting pass throughs you might want to get an overdraw on your bow. because when i added the overdraw and had my arrows cut shorter they got a little more penetration

my arrows are carbon furry 350 with 100 gr. mussy's
Old 02-01-2005, 06:46 PM

you guys must shoot and deer and never hit a rib because i have with 8 grains per inch carbons and maybe get one lung if lucky and thats at twenty yards.
You will get pass throughs at 13 GPI with a good 2 blade fixed head and a tuned bow (Somewhat tuned with that arrow weight should give pass throughs)

Choctaw

I'm shooing bemans as well. Mine are 31 inches long and I'm using Magnus Sitngers(125 gr). Mine weight 9.3 GPI. I'm only pulling 53 pounds with a not so fast bow. Have you thought about shooting a bareshaft farther? I shot mine at least to 35 yards. I always make my arrows heavy, what I mean by that is this. I will shoot the stiffest arrow I can get to tune to my bow. That way I can make them long and use a 125gr broadhead.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:18 PM

what do all you guys mean on tuning? Adjusting sites or what? I just left it up to my archery shots and made sure my arrows fly true? What would you do please tell i dont want to lose a 10 point again but at least a friend got him the next morning with a pass through while broad head stuck into the rib and stopped.

Quick Reply: Oh the carbons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.