Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Sighting in????

Old 01-30-2005, 06:35 PM

Default Sighting in????

Hello. I was wondering when sighting in a bow does it matter if you use feild tips or browed heads, do they shoot different even if they are the same weight?? thanx
Old 01-30-2005, 06:59 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Sighting in????

I personally only had problems with hoyts. The ones that were like a spear head with the side blades recessed. Those flew high on me so I quit using them. I shoot muzzy's and thunder heads and have had no noticable difference. I would atleast shoot one broad head to be sure. I've read posts on this board that says you may have to change weight a litlle to get the same flight.

Good luck.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:03 PM
Fork Horn

i would site in with field points and then try my broadheads.unless you are using mechanicals they will probably shoot different.
Old 01-30-2005, 07:39 PM

i agree with duramaxx
Old 01-30-2005, 08:07 PM
Typical Buck

I am pretty sure there would be some difference in the flights between fixed and mechanical but I'm not sure how much variance and probably depends on alot of variable including proper spine, etc. What I have noticed is that my fixed bh's don't really fly that much different than my mech's WHEN I HAVE CORRECT FORM. I have noticed that when I get a little sloppy, it seems there is less forgiveness with the fixed blades. I love the mechs but I think practicing with fixed is almost a training aid. JMO of course.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:26 PM
Typical Buck

I'll have to agree with duramaxlt also. In the past, I've had problem with broadheads shooting differently than field tips, but since I started using Muzzys I have had no problems.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:09 AM
Typical Buck

Sight in first with youre field tips.If youre arrows are properly spined ,paper tune youre arrows,I do about 10 feet from my frame.Once you get bullet holes or very close to,shoot some more at youre target,with field tips again,and readjust youre sight if needed,then try youre broadheads,I'll bet youre broadheads and field tips are pretty close in grouping, if not right on.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Stalker, I would sight in at 20 yards using field tips. When you have a 20 yard pin set, try your broadhead at 20. If your set up is tuned your broadhead should impact with your fieldtip. If this the impact is different you need to fine tune your bow. Once you have impact at 20 yards at the same point with field tip and broadhead, you are ready to set up the rest of your pins.
Old 01-31-2005, 05:16 PM

Thanx for all the help!
Old 01-31-2005, 06:51 PM

If your bow is properly tuned, your broadheads should be fairly close to your fieldpoints..You should also spin your arrows with broadheads attached.If your arrow wobbles then you need to match that broadhead with an arrow that doesn't wobble..Can be frustrating...but once bow is tuned and broadheads are matched to arrows you will have a good set up...Good luck./.

Quick Reply: Sighting in????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.