Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Importance Of Sight Level

Old 01-29-2005, 11:02 AM

Default Importance Of Sight Level

As With Many Sights, Mine Has A Level Installed At The Base. How Important Is It To Level The Sight Before Shooting? How Much Does It Effect Accuracy? I Know Many People Shoot Natural Cants. Is This Considered Improper Form? Are They Less Accruate? What Are Your Thoughts? Thanks Again, Ron
Old 01-29-2005, 11:31 AM

Default RE: Importance Of Sight Level

I do not have a sight level. I waas thinking about getting one, but was told that that is one more thing to look at before taking a shot at a bigt buck. The guy I 3d shoot with said that they are really important to have. He said that if you are on a hill shooting you will be thrown off. I can see using one with a 60 yard 3d shot. I do not use one since I hunt in a level treestand. I also do not take 60 yard shots.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:17 PM

You should not look at it once you draw your bow. You should have to bow level when you go to draw, then forget about it.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use a sight level all on my bows, however is is sensless to have one if your sight does not have thrid axis leveling. If it is not checked the bubble might not be level with the string. I have however set the level on the sights without the leveling capabilities by shimming where needed until the sight bubble was level. This can be done with a torpedo level on the string. To do it properly you need a bow vise to hold your bow upright to set the level, then drop the bow vise down to make sure that the bubble stays the same when the bow is tilted down. One can crudley set the level by holding the bow and checking it with a torpedo level and making adjustments as needed until the levels match. The bubble level with help greatly with angle shots downhill. The ultimate way to set the level is at full draw in a hooter shooter. Many of the bows today will have a different string angle when the bow is at full draw.
Old 01-29-2005, 12:21 PM

Canting the bow will normally make you miss left to right. At 20 and 30 yards most will not notice or need one really. At longer distances it becomes more obvious and they can help some.

Paul
Old 01-29-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a level on my copper john sight.
The more you practice with the level the less you will need it - does that make sense?
So when the time comes you're hands/body/alignment will all come together because you've practiced it that way so many times.
Old 01-29-2005, 07:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm with you. I don't understand the need. I guess if I wasn't hitting the target I might think maybe a level would help. As a carpentor I make my living with a level; one at the end of my bow would drive me crazy. I need to get away from work not riun my hunt by having it stare me in the face
Old 01-29-2005, 07:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

A level is a very good tool, especially with a release. Side hill shots can be way off your aiming point if a level is not utilized. Your stance is not flat and the cant or angle of the bow compared to the angle of the hill or slope can be very deceptive. Fingers shooters have it a bit easier in that they are holding the string at a specific anchor point. Your tab on the string will level the bow IF you don't grip the handle.
Old 01-30-2005, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

Hazcon7 -
That's a NICE boulder!!
Haaa ha ha! Good for you!!!
I think we're due for a shoot-out come this March!
Go HEELS!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:36 AM
Giant Nontypical

I Know Many People Shoot Natural Cants. Is This Considered Improper Form? Are They Less Accruate? What Are Your Thoughts? Thanks Again, Ron
Consistancy is key. Also, if you use a sight, you will need the ability to adjust the individual pins right/left besides having the ability to the housing left/right.

Quick Reply: Importance Of Sight Level

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.