Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Atom broadhead on hog

Old 01-28-2005, 02:50 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Atom broadhead on hog

It worked
Old 01-28-2005, 10:59 PM
Fork Horn

nice shot.
Old 01-28-2005, 11:16 PM

Man those wires don't look like they would do to well against bone. Not that any head should be expected to blow through bone but those wires look like they won't do well.

I doubt the head can withstand a sledgehammer hit.

I wonder how well they will do on sharper quartering shots.........the round wire makes me guess they will glance and slice before they grab, stick and penetrate.

We will see when more people start testing them. I wonder how much they are gonna cost.
Old 01-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Boone & Crockett

I don't think the wires are ment to blow through the bones. They are suppose to flex around the bone and through the hole in a bone but are stiff enough to spring back and cut the soft tissue like the lungs, heart and hide.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:23 AM

I was able to get a bit more info on the head. As for the price? $till don't know. I sent them an email and this was the reply. Big Slick, You wouldn't by chance be the friend who shot the pig would you?

Thanks for looking for information on our new ATOM broadhead we debuted at the ATA show a few weeks ago. How did you hear about it?
The specifics on the two sizes are this.
100 grain has a one inch by one inch cutting width with a solid one piece titanium body.
125 grain has a 1.25 by 1.25 inch cutting width with a solid one piece titanium body as well.
The "Blades" we have engineered are Nickel/Titanium alloy called "Nitinol". Being predominately titanium...plus being 53 thousandths of an inch thick. Those two factors provide for an incredibly strong "Blade" and the ability to hold the scalpel sharpness for a magnitude of time well above any stainless steel razor blade. There are two memory shaped flexible razor wires per broadhead. They are installed as simply as putting a key on a key chain..even easier actually. The leading edge of the wire is scalpel sharp. We cut the wire to length, form it to our broadhead shape..stress relieve and memory set the shape in a kiln. Ready to go with razor wires...body of solid titanium...The razor wire is only flexible under extreme duress compression impact loads..such as thru a spine (We actually passed completely thru a spine shot on a buck), heavy shoulder bone of a large deer/elk/moose/hog shoulder plate... In fact, after a full and unsuccessful season trying to shoot a hog on film....a friend shot one a few nights ago just so we could answer the questions posed by skeptical folks as to the durability of our flexible razor wire and the hole it cuts thru that tough hide/shoulder plate......results were simply as expected...a complete pass thru with full cutting width entrance and exit holes, both lungs and top of heart neatly sliced....hog didn't go very far which is exactly what we experienced with all the deer we have shot..
With the wire having such a small cross sectional coefficient of lift as compared to any previous "Razor bladed broadhead"...we are actually as aerodynamically elegant as a field point and achieve the exact same impact point as a field point. Yet we have four razor sharp lethal "blades" exposed at all times to do the business a broadhead is supposed to do upon impact with an animal.
The end result of my engineering effort to resolve all problems with both fixed bladed broadheads and mechanicals, yet keep all the benefits of both..have resulted in The ATOM.
Absolutely accurate, lethal and nearly indestructable.
Old 01-31-2005, 01:33 PM

My guess is they will be VERY expensive. I also eagerly await an unbiased review of the heads by members here. A glowing review by a "Friend" I don't put much stock in. Not saying it is not true.......just have to consider the source.

BTW......I HATE when I see stuff like this

The razor wire is only flexible under extreme duress compression impact loads..such as thru a spine (We actually passed completely thru a spine shot on a buck), heavy shoulder bone of a large deer/elk/moose/hog shoulder plate

Even if your head IS capable of that (which I doubt).......don't brag about it so some dork shooting a low power setup thinks he can blow through a brick wall and doesn't have to aim anymore.

I can't understand why companies brag about that stuff........like it is a hunters goal or something??? They should just say that on some marginal hits the heads still performed well and took the animal down in a short distance and time.

What the hell were they doing shooting spines, and elk shoulders anyways?? If anything that says to me the heads are not very accurate........or they were aiming at the spine and/or shoulders. Either way=BAD.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:45 PM

ORIGINAL: atlasman

My guess is they will be VERY expensive. I also eagerly await an unbiased review of the heads by members here. A glowing review by a "Friend" I don't put much stock in. Not saying it is not true.......just have to consider the source.
You have not set any reference for "expensive". I don't think I gave it a "glowing" report. I only even mentioned it here because someone else brought it up in another thread and the question was posed as to it's effectiveness. I simply stated the facts, and the pictures do not lie. Like you however, I don't care for hit and run "wow check this out" posts. That's not what this was. The thing isn't even in production yet. I certianly am not trying to sell it.
BTW......I HATE when I see stuff like this

The razor wire is only flexible under extreme duress compression impact loads..such as thru a spine (We actually passed completely thru a spine shot on a buck), heavy shoulder bone of a large deer/elk/moose/hog shoulder plate

Even if your head IS capable of that (which I doubt).......don't brag about it so some dork shooting a low power setup thinks he can blow through a brick wall and doesn't have to aim anymore.
I think he was merely stating that the broadhead will do it's job. He did not say it will make you a more ethical hunter.
I can't understand why companies brag about that stuff........like it is a hunters goal or something??? They should just say that on some marginal hits the heads still performed well and took the animal down in a short distance and time.
Then someone would ask "what type of marginal hits?". You are responding to an email sent to an individual who had specific questions, not a form letter advertisement posted in some hunting mag.
What the hell were they doing shooting spines, and elk shoulders anyways?? If anything that says to me the heads are not very accurate........or they were aiming at the spine and/or shoulders. Either way=BAD.
If you read the reply in it's context, you will see that the author stated "The razor wire is only flexible under extreme duress compression impact loads..such as thru a spine, heavy shoulder bone of a large deer/elk/moose/hog shoulder plate"
He did not say he shot an elk in the shoulder. He said the wire will flex under extreme duress, and gave situations in which the broadhead would encounter extreme duress. Perhaps he should have used "i.e. heavy shoulder bone of a large deer/elk/moose/hog shoulder plate".

Everyone I know has hit an animal in places they did not intend to hit the animal, some worse than others, but even the pros hit bone. Unless you are someone who has never hit bone with a broadhead, I really don't see why you think it's "bad" to consider you might encounter bone.

Really, quick humane kill, that's the goal. So far, that's what's happened. Still, you have every right to be skeptical. Hopefully I can show another pic next week of a bigger hog shot from a different angle (above, from tripod).

BTW, I saw some of the Hunting.net staff at the Las Vegas Shot Show.
Old 02-02-2005, 12:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Big Slick

You have not set any reference for "expensive".
I think we all know what heads we consider "expensive" We all see the price tags every year.

I don't think I gave it a "glowing" report.
I did.

I only even mentioned it here because someone else brought it up in another thread and the question was posed as to it's effectiveness. I simply stated the facts, and the pictures do not lie. Like you however, I don't care for hit and run "wow check this out" posts. That's not what this was. The thing isn't even in production yet. I certianly am not trying to sell it.
The fact that you didn't mention you were a "friend" of the manufacturer is what caught my eye. Puts everything in whole different perspective.......right or wrong.

I think he was merely stating that the broadhead will do it's job. He did not say it will make you a more ethical hunter.
A broadheads job is not to smash through a spine or elk shoulder bone.

Then someone would ask "what type of marginal hits?". You are responding to an email sent to an individual who had specific questions, not a form letter advertisement posted in some hunting mag.
There is a BIG difference between saying your head performed well even on marginal shots that encountered bone..........and boasting that you can pass through a spine and/or elk shoulder specifically.

If you read the reply in it's context, you will see that the author stated "The razor wire is only flexible under extreme duress compression impact loads..such as thru a spine, heavy shoulder bone of a large deer/elk/moose/hog shoulder plate"
He did not say he shot an elk in the shoulder. He said the wire will flex under extreme duress, and gave situations in which the broadhead would encounter extreme duress. Perhaps he should have used "i.e. heavy shoulder bone of a large deer/elk/moose/hog shoulder plate".
Well when he quotes from experience and says
We actually passed completely thru a spine shot on a buck
in only seems logical that he is speaking from experience about the rest as well.

Everyone I know has hit an animal in places they did not intend to hit the animal, some worse than others, but even the pros hit bone. Unless you are someone who has never hit bone with a broadhead, I really don't see why you think it's "bad" to consider you might encounter bone.
It's not bad to consider you may encounter bone.........it IS bad to send people into the woods thinking even if they do encounter bone it's no big deal because they have the super macho big man heads on their arrows so they don't have to worry about aiming that much. Brainwashing morons with blazing speed and "bone crushing" heads is a recipe for disaster.

BTW, I saw some of the Hunting.net staff at the Las Vegas Shot Show.
And??
Old 02-02-2005, 12:34 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nice kill
Old 02-02-2005, 03:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

When they come out I will get some for testing. We can then see how they compare to other heads. The concept is interesting and the hog is dead for sure!

Quick Reply: Atom broadhead on hog

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.