Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Effects Of Arrow Spine

Old 01-24-2005, 06:01 AM

Default Effects Of Arrow Spine

If you shorten your shafts but compensate by going to a different shaft size thus keeping weight the same, would it effect arrow spine?

With all other things being equal ( length, weight, flectching, nock, insert, broadhead ) are there any advantages or disadvantages to using a larger or smaller diameter arrow? Thanks for your input!
Old 01-24-2005, 06:49 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Effects Of Arrow Spine

Are you using it for 3-d or hunting? I don't know if you mean carbon or aluminum. Perosnally, I would rather have a smaller diameter thicker wall aluminum for hunting. The shaft should be a little heavier, more durable, and should provide for better penetration. For 3-d you would be better off with a larger diameter shaft in order to touch the line more. But don't be fooled into thinking that the same weight shaft will give you the same spine or deflection rating. Take a 2020 aluminum and compare it to a 2613 if you want to see what I mean.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Choctaw-Brave

If you shorten your shafts but compensate by going to a different shaft size thus keeping weight the same, would it effect arrow spine?
Hard to say without specifics on the arrow, but... shortening the arrow effectively stiffens it, you then went to a heavier arrow to keep the weight, so in general a heavier arrow would also be stiffer. You could have done the same general thing with the same arrow and a heavier tip, heavier tip effectively weakens spine. How much did you shorten it?

With all other things being equal ( length, weight, flectching, nock, insert, broadhead ) are there any advantages or disadvantages to using a larger or smaller diameter arrow? Thanks for your input!
advantages to both, smaller diameter will tend to penetrate better since the shaft will not have as much drag going through the hole made by the BH. Down side is fletch clearance is harder with small shafts as is putting a helical/offset on them and long fletchs.

--Bob
Old 01-24-2005, 07:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

Down side is fletch clearance is harder with small shafts as is putting a helical/offset on them and long fletchs.
I think that fletch clearence would actually be better with a small diameter, wouldn't it, or do you mean through a prong rest, then I would agree that if you use a helical on the arrow, you may runinto issues.

I've heard people mention the difficulties with putting on a helical with smaller shafts, but I have not found this to be a problem at all. But maybe you mean the extremes. I have alway had an easier time getting a helical on 22-- then 2613 aluminums, and even most carbon shafts. I have never really tied any of the extremely small shafts though. This would be on a Bitz jig.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:24 AM

when and arrow hits a target (wether it be a deer or a target) the arrow makes a snake motion as it enters what you are shooting. when I mean by snake motion the arrow actually bends... a bigger diameter arrow will make the arrow not bend as much.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

when and arrow hits a target (wether it be a deer or a target) the arrow makes a snake motion as it enters what you are shooting. when I mean by snake motion the arrow actually bends... a bigger diameter arrow will make the arrow not bend as much.
Is this an assumption?

Doesn't this snake motion that you are speaking of have more to do with deflection then arrow diamter?

Would a 2512 with a spine of .321 have less snake motion then a 2317 spined at .297 or a 2419 spined at .268?
Old 01-24-2005, 08:46 AM

yeah, I have seen advertisements comparing aluminum arrows and carbon arrows and comparing the diameter I seen it on OLN and Outdoor Channel ... deflection you mean wall thickness.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:51 AM
Giant Nontypical

deflection you mean wall thickness.
Nope.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:53 AM

then what is deflection??????[&:]
Old 01-24-2005, 08:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

http://pages.cthome.net/dkelms/spine.htm

Quick Reply: Effects Of Arrow Spine

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.