Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New Bow What Would You Do

Old 01-23-2005, 07:09 PM

Default New Bow What Would You Do

I'm Hunting Elk in Idaho Lots of Brush and steep terrain. I just bought an 04 Patriot Dually. I have no Idea about arrows broadheads rests or quivers I might not want a quiver attached to the bow.

The reason I don't know anything about the new stuff is I've never followed any of it. I've hunted with an American Challenger for 17 years now and have always done well with it 30" draw set at 70lbs. It is just too heavy to carry Elk hunting here and due for replacement.

How would you set up. The cost isn't an issue within reason.
Old 01-23-2005, 07:21 PM

Default RE: New Bow What Would You Do

Wow. Well, with so many options to choose from, this could be difficult. Broadheads, well, that will somewhat depend on the speed, but any good cut on contact should suffice. Maybe the G5 by Montec. I would thing anything you get would need to be simple, and durable. Rests...oh my, you will get alot of answers here, but a good fall away is nice, because you don't have to worry about fletching clearance.
Old 01-24-2005, 06:33 AM

I really like my whisker biscuit, especially for hunting. You never have to worry about fletching clearance, or your arrow falling off your rest.

Here is a review:

Whisker biscuit review

As for a quiver, it would probably be a good idea to use a back quiver over your shoulder or a "cat" back quiver.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

I might not want a quiver attached to the bow
I would reconsider that. Especially with the type of terrain. Reson being is that you will have to deal with being careful with too pieces of equipment instread of one. I speak from experience in that type of terrain.

As far as arrows, I would suggest a small diameter thick walled aluminum (personally, I use a 2216) shaft with a fixed head broadhead. There are a bunch of quality heads out there, but if you asked me to pick one, I would say Muzzy.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've been very well pleased with the Magnus Stingers. They make a two blade and a four blade. The four blade is a two blade with bleeders. They fly, and penetrate, great. I've shot the four blades at 291 out of my Pro 40 Dually. I like the Trophy Taker rests. You get no contact with hard helical vanes. The Whisker Biscuit is very quiet, and fully contains the arrow. The PSE Radial Weave arrows shoot great. Spine, weight, and straightness consistency is very good with these. Depending on your draw weight, you could shoot either 300s, or 400s.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:16 AM

I would get a PSE with a wiskerbiscuit rest and carbonforce arrows with fethered fletching
Old 01-24-2005, 08:29 AM
Typical Buck

I shoot/hunt a lot of elk. I use a mathews feather max. 2216 aluminams, thunderhead 125's, You want a heavey arrow and fixed blade broadhead. also I use a low profile mathews quiver and I hunt really thick stuff here in oregon , Idaho is much more open. The best piece of advice I can give you is practics shots up hill and down hill out to 40 yards, FYI I don't like carbon arrows for elk hunting. IMO they just don't have the weight, also don't try and hit the heart, shoot the lungs . Heart shot have a tendance to move to close and hit that massive shoulder blade.
Old 01-24-2005, 08:37 AM

I dont elk hunt I live in KY. I deer hunt the most.....
Old 01-24-2005, 09:00 AM

go with a hip quiver or back quiver that way its not on your bow and mess up your grouping and try muzzy broadheads 4 blades would be excelnt broadhead for elk and muzzy makes very good 3 and 4 blade heads get a caliper release and get at least a 3 pin sight. for rests every one says whisker bisquit by caroina archery is excellent i just herd that the whiskers get stiff in cold and wet weather iv also heard alot about fall away rests they give 100% flecthing clearance and everyone says there very very good
Old 01-24-2005, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I were you, I'd rely on the 17 years of experience you've got hunting your area. Go to the shops and examine the gear you're interested in, then make your own judgements on whether the stuff is going to be tough enough and reliable enough to stand up to your kind of hunting. I'd say 99% of the stuff out there is geared to guys who perch their tails up on a treestand all day long. They can get by for years with stuff that your style of hunting could destroy in a morning hunt.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.