Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wounded deer.....what would you do?

Old 01-26-2005, 12:07 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: wounded deer.....what would you do?

I can tell in NO way would I hunt with some of the guys that posted.Here in montana 2 years ago 3 miles east of big sky resort there was 2 guys hunting elk.when they tryed to cross a streem there was a moose attacted one of the men got him down and started to stomp him.The 2nd guy a LONG time friend trowed rocks and sticks at the moose.HE DID NOT SHOT THE MOOSE WITH HIS BOW OR HAND GUN ON HIS SIDE,just trowed rocks and sticks.After the moose killed the man it left. The man checked his friend out than whent for help.

When ask why he did not shoot the moose he said I did not have a tag AND WILL NOT BRAEK THE LAW.

I worked with this man on the resort building a 14 story bilding.I did talk and mite have whent hunting with him.After this I told him to get away from me befor I went to jail.

I do not think you should shoot at eyes. But if you can walk up on a deer under 20 yards you should shoot it. If the only reasion you will not shot it is for the law than I hope your hunting buddy never gets in a spot that he needs your help and it may break the law.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Elkinmtcwb

Let me ask you if these are equal circumstances to compare.

1. Your circumstance life and death situation = 2. a deer shot with a bow during legal shooting hours that was seen in a bed after dark still alive

Hmmmm..... Don't seem like the same thing to me.

And I don't think that would have been breaking the law in the case that you mentioned for some reason.

Plus, I wouldn't want to hunt with that guy either.
Old 01-26-2005, 12:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Everybody has their own set of ethics. To me it would be much more unethical to let an animal lay there and suffer than it would to break a law by shooting it and putting it out if it's misery.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Not saying they are the same saying to many peoeple put the law for the 1st reasion they will not put the deer out of its pain.T Fill free to be this way, just plz do not swap hunts with me.I know if a guy will put the deer down if the deal comes up I am very sure he would like any thing killing his hunting partner.If he will not kill the deer than who knows where the law stops and starts so I for 1 would rather hunt with the guy I am sure of.

I have NEVER meet a guy that did not break the law some how, just most lie about it.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

To me it would be much more unethical to let an animal lay there and suffer than it would to break a law by shooting it and putting it out if it's misery.
I think there is problem with these types of laws in a lot of states, and the law is making ethical people act in unethical ways, it even seems to divide people as the last post is telling me because or varying opinions - sad . What these laws seem to do is leave the law abiding people in these situation extremely troubled. No one wants to see an animal suffer or worse yet leave it.

Don't get me wrong, I have never been put in this situation. I am taking a leashed tracking dog test this year that actually would allow me to carry and discharge a weapon at night. I have though left deer overnight when I wasn't sure of a perfect hit. In those instances though, I didn't track at night. I came back in the morning. I have also tracked at night at times I was sure of a perfect hit. Each time, though I found my deer dead.
Old 01-26-2005, 01:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: silentassassin

Everybody has their own set of ethics. To me it would be much more unethical to let an animal lay there and suffer than it would to break a law by shooting it and putting it out if it's misery.
silentassassin i have got to agree!
I can`t imagine leaving an animal that i have shot out there all night. And i know that i could get to it and finish it off and stop it from suffering any longer?
I am not one that would want to break any laws? But a man got to do what a man got to do! [&:]
Old 01-26-2005, 03:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

SS, Shoot and shut up.

Then there's SSS shoot, shovel and shut up.