Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

wounded deer.....what would you do?

Old 01-23-2005, 04:50 PM

Default RE: wounded deer.....what would you do?

I would have backed off, left the woods, and came back the next morning.
Ditto.
Old 01-23-2005, 04:57 PM

That is exactly what I did, backed off and came back in the morning. The person helping me tracking said I should try and shoot it, which I didn't and I am glad I didn't. I just wanted to here other peoples thoughts. Thanks for everyones posts(especially yours davidmil), keep um coming.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:10 PM

put it this way if u want the deer bad enough u should of just shot at in the dark and see if it moves or makes a sound then SLOWLY approach with bow drawn and a buddy holdin light. and if it moves stick it again and dont worry about loosing meat its just like the processer cuttin the meat with a knife ur just um airating it.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:16 PM

put it this way if u want the deer bad enough u should of just shot at in the dark and see if it moves or makes a sound then SLOWLY approach with bow drawn and a buddy holdin light. and if it moves stick it again and dont worry about loosing meat its just like the processer cuttin the meat with a knife ur just um airating it.
That is not a very smart thing to do if he only saw the deers eyes. What if it turned out to not be a deer and it was a person. Have you been to a hunter's safety class??? Not only that, but it is illegal to shoot at game after legal shooting hours.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:30 PM

I figured it was a state by state thing after dark. Though I'd make sure I'd ask the wardens the intent of the law. The way that reads you can't track your deer with a bow in hand. Only to and from the stand, which may well be the law, but which also makes zero sense.

Onto more thoughts. Every deer we've seen at nite with lights and tried to leave and come back later on or even the next day has moved from the original bed. Luckily we've found them all by grid searches. But my feelings are that once the deer knows you know where it is, it will leave, if at all possible, after you leave. Its been located and is not secure anymore. It will relocate as best it can.

This comes from over 100 kills with a bow and having hunted with from 6-10 others since 83. We all initially had a tag out syndrome going. Multiply that number of folks by 4-5 tags-- well lots of learning there for bowhunting. Took us too long to learn how to find gutshots. Even though the books are right on them. Leave them totally alone 8 hours or more. Don't even get your arrow. Don't trail a bit. They usually are laying within 100 yards of the impact. Go AWAY from the direction they went after waiting an hour or more or prefereably till dark. Even if away is out of the way to camp. They'll be there. And a grid search will find them. 4 hours is not enough. 6 hours is not enough. 8 hours is usually. Trust me on this one. I've been able to watch a couple of them bed down and it takes time. And even if they look dead at 6 hours, go sneak in and pray you don't miss. If you do they can scat out like a scalded cat!! Patience there.

Jeff
Old 01-23-2005, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good topic. I had this situation occur. It is illegal as all get out in my state to shoot a wounded one after dark. When I walked up on a buck during the track job I shut out the lights and backed out as quiet as could be. It was almost a downpour and there was no trial. I found him pretty much exactly in the same spot the next morning.

And you are so so true with the gut shot wait. 8 hours min. I've still found them alive at that, but was able to finish the job.
Old 01-23-2005, 05:54 PM

I SHOOT STUFF, are you serious?????????
Old 01-23-2005, 07:06 PM

i know its illegal but i just hate the thought of something suffering it just kills me. i cried on my first deer not balling but i had tears in my eyes. i hate when people wait to the next morning i just cant stand stuff suffering. this year my mom was driving me to pick up/pay for my deer and there was one layin in the road with a broken leg and she wouldnt pull over and let me put it out of its misory
Old 01-23-2005, 07:07 PM

and humans eyes dont reflect light
Old 01-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Dominant Buck

Send the wife after it.

Quick Reply: wounded deer.....what would you do?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.