Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great Deal first compound Bow

Old 01-20-2005, 10:53 AM

Default Great Deal first compound Bow

I finally switch to compunds after growing up shooting a crossbow. I thank this forum for the reasons why i switched. I got brand new parker phenoix 34 for 350 with a wisker bisciut, peep, quiver, tru glow sight, extra limb savers. My buddy got this for x-mas and he has tons of bows so he sold it to me. I also picked up a dozen carbon express for 44 at wal-mart. It is set to shoot at 61 the guy told me at the shop. Ill keep it there for a bit until I get comfortable shooting. I do have a few questions.
1. what is a good release
2. Is the tru glow a good sight or what should i get?
3. If the fletches on the arrows are bent down should i bend back?

Thanks for the help I am really excited on my new hunting toy!
Old 01-20-2005, 11:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Great Deal first compound Bow

Very good, congrats! Make sure you post some pics of that buck you get this year!

As far as releases, I favor tru-ball. But there are many other quality releases including scott.
tru-Glow should be fine for your first sight. There are so many out there to choose from. A lot of guys here like spott hoggs, I prefer Sur-Loc.
I don't know why your flethcings are bent. You may want to take them to a pro shop and see what they think. They might have to be replaced.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:37 PM

If your fletchings are vanes try heating them up a little with a hair dryer. if it's because you're shooting them through a WB then that is one of the trade offs.

Congrats on the new bow. Bob has you pointed in the right direction. I also like truball releases. The tornado is sweet as well as the hunter II. I've shot and loved both releases. For sights there are so many to choose from and a lot of good ones on the market. I prefer Vital bow gear and shoot a trapper. Things to consider when buying a sight is brightness and durability. Are the fibers exposed, is the body of the sight made of rugged materials like alluminum or is it plastic? Buy quality the first time and don't think quality means you need to buy the most expensive accessories.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

You got a great deal on that bow.
I prefer the Scott Mongoose release.
The Tru-glow sight should be just fine. I would not change it just yet. When you do change sights look at the Montana Black Gold sights. I really like mine.
The fletching on your arrows??? Hard to tell from where I am sitting. I would ask your friend why they are bent down?

Have fun,

Wolf Killer