Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

fall away vs star hunter rest

Old 01-20-2005, 09:52 AM

Default fall away vs star hunter rest

I currently shoot the stat hunter rest and am thinking about going to a fallaway type rest. I was wondering if the fall away will give you anymore fps? The fall aways are quite expensive and was curious. I know they give you total vane clearence but are they that much better? thanks
Old 01-20-2005, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: fall away vs star hunter rest

I shot the Star Hunter for more than a few hunting seasons. When I went to a drop away the first one I used was a Muzzy Zero Effect for a couple of years and the last couple of years a Trophy Taker. In comparing those two (ZE and TT) I don't think there was any noticeable difference in performance. Personnal preference will dictate which fall away a person chooses.

As far as speed goes if I remember right when I made the switch it was more or less a wash. The max may have been 2 fps which I consider almost negligible.

My feeling is that these two drop aways both contain the arrow better than the Star Hunter did, especially when trying to make a shot in an intense situation, for example, shooting a bull elk that is causing the ground around you to shake with his antics and bugling. It also allows me the freedom to shoot either feathers or vanes with a good degree of hellical with no problems in arrow flight. For me personally this is a big plus.
Old 01-20-2005, 10:32 AM

Thanks. Very good points that i really hadn't thought of.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have used a Star Hunter or SuperStar for about 10 years now on most of my bows. A couple years ago I got the chance to set up a MZE on my Pearson. It worked like a charm.

This past year I set up and tried 8 or 9 of the more common ones. They all worked OK, but then came hunting season. The ole Star Hunter went back on--for obvious reasons. KISS. Mount it, set it up, tune, and go shooting. No cords or anything to come loose or move.

Most of the ones with a cord tied to the "down" cable just didn't light a fire in me. For one thing I still had fletching contact with the cord on many of them. This might be splitting hairs, but what's the point of a drop away, but to get rid of contact. So I finally found one that I like (besides the MZE). GKF Infiniti with the cord connected to a cable slide from Vital Bow Gear's Ultimate. So I'll use this for 3D. And I gained about 4fps from the Star Hunter. Not that I'm worried about it. The bow shoots over 300fps at 53lbs and 27.5" draw as it is.
Old 01-20-2005, 12:33 PM
Typical Buck

BGfisher,
I'm not trying to bust your balls, i was just wondering how you get your bow to shoot so fast with such low poundage and shorter draw length? Thanks
Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 AM

thanks again for the replies
Old 01-21-2005, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: fatsbucknut

BGfisher,
I'm not trying to bust your balls, i was just wondering how you get your bow to shoot so fast with such low poundage and shorter draw length? Thanks

Fats, it's a Martin SlayR with Nitrous cams with HL modules. The arrows are Vapor 23 Speeds, 27" long, 2" feathers, 75gr CXL points.
The bow has nothing on the string but a tied-in nockset and a Specialty Peep with Verifier lens. The string is a Prostring made from BCY 8125, 18 strands, which is the recommended strand count. The rest is a GKF Infiniti tied off to a Vital Bow Gear cable slide (from Ultimate Fall Away rest).

When the bow was set up as a pretty normal hunting rig it was doing in the low 280's.

What else you want to know?