Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Treestand strategy....sort of....???

Old 01-20-2005, 08:06 AM

Default Treestand strategy....sort of....???

Here's the situation. I have 7 sets of 20ft climbing sticks. But, I only have 3 lock-on's(really one lock-on and 2 old climbers that I use as lock-ons) to go with them. If it were you would you:

A. Buy 4-5 more lock-on's and have them all set up
B. Just put up the sticks and take my Lone-wolf in with me every hunt and hang it then and there?

I could save several hundred dollars by just using the lone wolf. But, each hunt will require more time and effort and make more noise. Also, while the lone wolf is the most versatile lock-on on the market, it is not the most comfortable.

What would you do........
Old 01-20-2005, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Treestand strategy....sort of....???

I would stock up on lock ons over the winter. I have 5 remaing now. Two of my lock ons were stolen year[:@] They also got 24 feet of climbing sticks and around 20 or so screw in steps. Trespassing thieves.

I would hate to work up a sweat every hunt setting the lock on up.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:14 AM

I could save several hundred dollars by just using the lone wolf. But, each hunt will require more time and effort and make more noise. Also, while the lone wolf is the most versatile lock-on on the market, it is not the most comfortable.
There is your answer. More noise is bad and if you're setting up a stand on even a mildly wearm day you're likely to sweat, also a bad thing. Now is the time to be thinking about next years stand IMO. Pick them up cheap durring off season sales, that's what I've always done.

For a guy who puts a lot of effort, time and money into hunting I think it would be an easy desicion. If you've got the money I'd pick up at least a coupl more stands. It would be nice to have a matched set of stand/climbing sticks for each set of sticks you have, but just adding a couple of stands 2-3 will give you more options without having to move and hang stands in season.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:18 AM

Thanks guys, exactly my thoughts as well.
Old 01-20-2005, 08:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I personlly just use several lock one. I find that on days where I may just have and hour and a half to hunt that I just won't go if I have to set a stand up because I assume I am going to spook something and possibly burn up the spot. If I can just slip in and up the tree I will go. Plus that's just that much less pressure you are putting on the deer.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bowhunters and tree stands are like women and shoes...you can never have too many. I have a lot of stands but they aren't Lone Wolf's either. I am slowly coming around to the fact that most cheap stands are uncomfortable as all get out. The last 2 I have bought were a Gorilla Silverback and a Summit Headhunter Lite. The Summit is the better stand hands down. If you look around, you can pick them up for less than $100.
Old 01-20-2005, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

I would get a climber!
Old 01-21-2005, 07:45 AM

Bowhuntingfool, I have 3 climbers now..........I don't need another...
Old 01-21-2005, 07:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would take this time to do some scouting for next season. And try to pick a few more good stand locations. Then buy as many lock-on`s as you need.
Old 01-21-2005, 08:18 AM

RTA, will do...........I'm still hunting right now..........scouting starts in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: Treestand strategy....sort of....???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.