Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Man!, sorry just need to vent

Old 01-20-2005, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Default RE: Man!, sorry just need to vent

Congratulations to your nephew. Take it from me, if you don't want someone hunting where you have put time and effort into a special buck do NOT tell anyone unless you truly want them to have the opportunity.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:58 AM

With 2000 acres, I'll bet you got even bigger ones out there. Good luck - maybe it is an omen for you to get a bigger buck.
Old 01-20-2005, 11:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

There will be another one that moves in there next year.
Old 01-20-2005, 04:36 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dkeener

With 2000 acres, I'll bet you got even bigger ones out there. Good luck - maybe it is an omen for you to get a bigger buck.

I agree but the problem with 2000 acres is that deer can go anywhere and every where.

Some of the places I hunt are adjacent to some big woods where no hunting is allowed. I believe deer move in semi loose herds. One day they will be in the general location other days no deer will be around. If I where you, I wouldn't sweat it. I don't know how old you are or how long you have been hunting, but I suspect there will be a day you will let that one walk waiting for a bigger deer.

My best memories are the ones I let walk knowing that it was mine for the taken. They are funny creatures to observe coming and going. Nothing beats taking a young/new hunter in the woods and setting them up for the kill. There is absolutely nothing like it. I'm only sorry you weren't there to see it. Just imagine him standing there with his big eyes, shaking all over speaking with a cracking voice. I'm sure he will thank you for ever.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Just enjoy the fact that you helped the kid bag his first buck! The next thing you need to do is teach him how to scout for deer himself. " give a man a fish or teach a man to fish" you know the story
Old 01-20-2005, 06:55 PM

This will sound strange to some, but the older I get, I get more enjoyment out of having others getting all excited about harvesting an animal. I've taken my share and like others am still waiting for that deer of a lifetime. But the last year or so, I'd rather take my son out or introduce someone new to the sport than to be over-posessed and greedy with my "hot spots" like I once was.

I know that is a little frustrating for you, but you'll never forget the look on that kids face will you? You will be blessed for sharing your honey hole with him in one way or another!
Old 01-21-2005, 06:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

I agree but the problem with 2000 acres is that deer can go anywhere and every where.

True, But.........

From my experience in big woods, and even small for that matter is that unless travel routes are altered (storms, blowdowns, developement, fields opened up, logging, food sources, etc.), deer will stick to the same routes for the most part year after year. I'd stick with the same area that this buck was seen, and killed, another dominant buck should move into the area.
Old 01-21-2005, 07:06 AM

I'd say you kinda crapped in your own boot.

We'll atleast your nephew got him and is proud of it.

With that much land I'm sure there are many more deer in there alot bigger than 110"

Scout the heck out of it this spring and locate yourself a bigger one for next fall.

HT
Old 01-21-2005, 07:20 AM
Dominant Buck

Don't feel bad feel be honored that you could help. It was in a way an act of giving. I believe that when you give you receive double in return. With 2000 acres there will certainly be bigger deer.