Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Great day hunting.

Old 01-18-2005, 11:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Great day hunting.

Today was an awesome day of hunting. It started out with about a 3/4 mile walk around some rye and CRP fields so not to spook the deer in the fields. I get set up inside the hardwoods right behind a young pine thicket that the deer use to get to and from the fields under cover.

About 30 minutes after daylight three nice does come out to my right within bow range but being that I am right handed I could not get turned around with out them seeing me as the hardwood trees are semi cleared and pretty open. I turn the "can" over a couple of times and the larger doe starts walking directly to me. Se walks within 10 yards of the tree I am in and sniffs around for about 5 minutes right under me but I was never able to get drawn back on her.

She finally trots off when the other two get off a ways. I figured that was the only three I'd see so I sat back down. I look behind me about 2 minutes later and here come two more deer from my back left. A big doe and a 6" spike. They are looking like they are not going to come within range so I flip the "can" a couple more times and they come running my way. The doe circles around some log piles out of range but the spike comes straight to me. He literally stood at the tree I was sitting in. Well I decided to shoot him when he stepped out a few yards and droped him on the spot with a spine shot at 5 yards (no tracking)

Then I ask one of the USG&F guys if I can drive my truck down the road to load up the deer. He told me to get in and actually drove me across the fields right up to the deer and then takes it to my truck. I'm thinking this day is just great.

Later on about 9:30 or so I was just out looking around and I see some turkeys in the rye field. There were seven turkeys and everyone of them were big bearded gobblers. So I sat there and watched them mill around for a while until they walked into some tall grass.

I ended the day watching a doe mill around for about 30 minutes and a breed of squirrel I have never seen before run around as the sun was going down.

This squirrel has a very light gray and big body, a jet black face, kind of raccoon like, and a stark white nose that starts just under his eyes. One of the prettiest squirrels I have ever seen. If it looks directly at you it looks like a white and black bullseye. Any one have any idea? I am thinking maybe some rare color phase of a fox squirel???????
Old 01-19-2005, 08:29 AM

Default RE: Great day hunting.

Congrates on the deer.

Sounds like it was a good day. Days like that a far and few between.