Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back in archery after a 43 yr. abesnce

Old 01-18-2005, 04:35 AM

Default Back in archery after a 43 yr. abesnce

The last time I shot a bow, recurves were just starting to hit the market. I started hunting with my son 3 years ago after a 15 yr absence. (Was busy fishing and into Corvettes) Didn't realize how much I missed it till I started hunting again. I hunt during regular gun season plus muzzleloader. At the end of this season I thought I want to spend more time in the woods so why not try archery? Went with my son yesterday to the local BassPro store. They had a PSE bow on sale for 25% off. Drawing on my son's 10 years of bow hunting knowledge, I got a PSE Typhoon bow, wisker biscuit rest, pendulum sight, and cobra release to use with the ultra knock. They set the bow up for me ask let me shoot a few arrows at their range. Shot 3 arrows from 10 yards as the guy made a few adjustments. Backed up to 20 yards and shot the next 3 arrows into a 3 inch dot. I can't get over how much technology has advanced since I last shot a long bow. There is no vibration fom this bow, the let-off makes it easy to hold on traget, there is very little noise when the arrow is let go, and it seems easy to hit what you aim at. I now have the next 8 months to practice before bow season next fall. Now if my wife just doesn't see the new bow in the basement I'll be all set.
Old 01-18-2005, 04:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Back in archery after a 43 yr. abesnce

Nice to meet you and welcome to the forum.

I must agree that advances in bow design have come along way in the last 20 or 30 years. It is much simpler to become proficient with a modern compound in a relatively short period of time....especially if you already have a natural gift in that area.

Have fun shooting and hope to see your posts in the future.
Old 01-18-2005, 07:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome back and welcome aboard. This is a great place to learn and hear some good stories!
Old 01-18-2005, 08:16 AM

welcome to the forums, good luck with the new bow!
Old 01-18-2005, 09:10 AM

PA, Being such a Young Man, What do you remember from 30 Years ago? LOL
Old 01-18-2005, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

Welcome to the forum and welcome back to bowhunting!

Good luck out there next year!
Old 01-19-2005, 08:59 AM

Welcome back to bowhunting! I returned to the sport also last year after a 30 year absence and bought a 70 lb recurve (old habits die hard). However, I didn't feel comfortable enough trying to take a deer with it (I can't bear the thought of wounding a deer and not making a recovery) so I bought a Mathews Outback. I feel like I am cheating shooting that thing, lol. Man, compounds are sweet. I haven't given up on the recurve however, just needed more time to practice it and a taller blind. Hope to take deer with both this coming fall.
Old 01-22-2005, 04:05 PM
Fork Horn

Great to have you back after all these years!
Old 01-22-2005, 08:02 PM

welcome back
Old 01-22-2005, 09:06 PM

Welcome Carroll! Where exactly are you? I live in Bel Air, MD.

Quick Reply: Back in archery after a 43 yr. abesnce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.