Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When using a release?

Old 01-15-2005, 10:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default When using a release?

Sorry for the newbie question. When using a release and the additional nok point (string or ultra nok type) how does this affect draw length or does it? Or do you just pull them further to roughly the same anchor as fingers? It would seem to me that it might shave something like an inch off your draw? And also lastly what is a good release ( I need to buy one) ? Thanks.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:49 PM

Default RE: When using a release?

if you use a loop it will increase your draw length. how much depends on the size of your loop. and the release itself also makes an independent difference. i like a handheld thumb trigger. truball are the only ones i know that make one without a 'click'. you can clip it on your loop and let it sit until you pick up your bow. i like the new extreme handheld with a talon head. i take the rope off the release and attach the talon head to my loop. it doesn't have a cocking mechanism so no click. some people like wrist releases, just not me. i want the back of my hand tucked/cradled against my face/jawbone
when i shoot. easily repeatable and solid. but its not for everybody. if you get a chance shoot a few different styles until you find what you like. this may take you several buys, and resells....... forever and on....
Old 01-15-2005, 10:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

It does not effect your draw length at all. Your string should still contact your face in the same place if you were attaching to the string itself. Usually the tip of your nose and the corner of your mouth.

What it does effect is your anchor point. Your anchor point will move back about 1/2".

A loop should be tied so that there is a small gap (1/16") between your nock and release jaw. It should never need to be an inch long.

IMO, some very good releases are made by TRU Ball and the hurricane made by True Fire. They both use jaws that close on their own. This is a plus in the safety department. It keeps the jaws closed until you actually pull the trigger.

Scott makes very good releases also but you must close the jaws by pushing the trigger forward and other than your finger there is nothing keeping it closed.
Old 01-15-2005, 10:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Terry, yes a string loop or a ultra nock does shorten your draw or as big bulls said your ancor point. For an example I am 6'3" and my draw length is 30.5", but with a string loop I can shoot a 30" draw just fine. In fact if the string loop is extra long close to one inch I can shoot a 29.5". When no string loop is used I can shoot a 31" draw with certin releases, if I attach the release to the bow string itself. If someone asked me strait out what my draw length is I will tell them 30" with a string loop attached. Hope I didn't confuse you. As far a releases go there are a lot out on the market that are good. I myself own several from different manufactures. I like my Scott the best, but I also own a Cobra, several True Fires and a older Tru Ball. As far a which one is best for you, well thats a question that only you can answer. Releases are like gloves they each feel and fit everyone differently. The best advice I can give is to take your new bow out to different shops and use different releases until you find one thats fits like a glove. You want a release to be a extension of your hand.
Old 01-15-2005, 11:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

OK some good info guys, thanks. Here's another question: Do you usually use an additional loop with the release? Sounds like some do some don't. I guess they reduce string wear but the string type look like an awkward thing to deal with when I have a 300 lb bear sniffing around at the base of my tree!! If you clip onto the bowstring itself with the release, how much faster does it wear out the string?
Old 01-15-2005, 11:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

Like all things it takes a little practice. I can attach my release to my loop in total darkness or with out having to look at the loop at all. Once you do it a few times it becomes second nature. I am just as quick attaching to a loop as attaching to the bow string.

I use a string loop on my bow string and always will. IMO this is the best way to attach a release to a bow string. The metal loops are basically crap IMO. A simple string loop tied onto your bow string is by far a much better way to go.

Attaching to the string will definetly wear out your serving faster. Not to mention you are pulling from under your arrows nock creating severy nock pinch and pulling the bow string half way out of the nock groove. A bow string will also statch itself downward at the release and also snatch the arrow downward with it when you attach to the bow string. This creates inefficiencies in your bows performance. It is much better to pull a bow string directly behind the arrow.
Old 01-16-2005, 07:08 AM

It does change the draw a little bit but not enough to worry about. If i was getting a new release, i would look into the tru fire X Caliper Glove. It is awesome but will run you about $65
Old 01-16-2005, 07:51 AM

thanks for correcting me. if my anchor point moves back 1/2 inch it sure feels like my drawlength has increased, but i realize what you are saying, it hasn't increased technically - it just feels like it. well duh. me and all that red wine last night knew what we meant.
Old 01-16-2005, 08:18 AM
Fork Horn

I myself like to use a glove release. There's no chance of dropping it or losing it when you're on stand. That's if you have it on while you hunt. Guess I don't know why you wouldn't. My personal release that's not overly expensive is made by tru fire it the bear paw release. I like it and have two of em. One I wear while hunting and one I carry as an emergency back up. There are however many and I mean many releases. Try a bunch out and see which one suits your fancy. Good luck and remember................
Old 01-16-2005, 09:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

me and all that red wine last night knew what we meant.