Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips For Bowhunting Around Corn Fields ?

Old 09-04-2002, 01:34 PM
Spike

Default Tips For Bowhunting Around Corn Fields ?

<font size=5></font id=size5><font color=green></font id=green> The fields above my house have corn planted in them, i have hunted on the edges of these fields before but they didn't have corn planted in them. I haven't scouted there yet but i will this weekend and look for deer trails leading to the corn. Is there anything i should know on how to bow hunt the edges of the fields , which would be a better time to hunt , morning or evening ? Or will deer get in there and bed down. Or would it be better to wait till the farmer cuts down the corn ? Thanks !
Old 09-04-2002, 02:20 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 09-04-2002, 02:23 PM

Default RE: Tips For Bowhunting Around Corn Fields ?

Deer will use the corn for bedding if there is little other cover around. I hunt the edges where the corn meets timber or a creek. One thing that is usually missing from a corn field is water so that becomes an attraction. Morning and evening has worked the best for me and by all means be in your stand the day the corn is coming out because you will prob. see deer that you didn't know were there.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:39 PM

Look for distinctive trails into and out of the corn. They (trails) will be there and they will cross narrow sections or the entire width and/or length of a field.

Set up near the entrance/exit. If you listen and watch the tops of the corn stalks, you will see and/or hear them coming.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote> Deer will use the corn for bedding if there is little other cover around. <hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

That's not the experience I have had.
Old 09-04-2002, 02:43 PM

One time while hunting a corn field the farmer was combining. It wasn`t a large field about 5 acres he was down to making his last to passes and out came two beautiful 8 pointer to far for me to shoot.You never know what lays in the corn fields .
Old 09-05-2002, 06:02 AM

If there is a steady light breeze, take a pair of binoculars and go to the downwind end of the corn around 9:30 or 10 in the morning and start at one corner of the field. go about 20 yards into the wind and then start still hunting. If the field is placed with the rows east and west and the wind out of the west(row orientation only in relation to direction of wind) start 20 yards up and go nrht to south(or south to north) across the rows using the binoculars to glass both directions before steping into the row. work your way across the field move an additional 20 yards or so into the wind and repeat to the opposite side. in a ladder pattern.
If you have a recurve or longbow take that instead of your compound as snapshots WILL present themselfs as deer cross infront of you.
A very light breeze covers any sound you make and dosn't seem to bother the deer.

Very Exciting and rewarding. The last 3 deer I have taken have come out of the corn.

Greg

&quot;Getting close to the game is the joy of Bowhunting for me, the harvest is a bonus.&quot;

Live 15 ft Python after eating a small Antelope!
Old 09-05-2002, 07:02 AM
Super Moderator

As mentioned above look for trails that lead into the woods from the field. Also remember that deer will use a corn field as a travel route. I have witnessed deer traveling the whole length of a cornfield many times just to get from one place to the next to the point of avoiding a woods. Its amazing how quiet a deer can be in the corn if they really want to.
Old 09-05-2002, 07:08 AM
Spike

I've had good luck hunting ditches and fencerows tween 2 cornfields. Around here alot deer live in the corn till its picked.

Old 09-05-2002, 08:12 AM

i am a farmerand avid bow hunter for 25 years. i have noticed that the deer on the farm will bed down in the corn. they especially like the areas that the turkeys have flattened. so during your scouting of the corn field look for large areas of flatened corn in or around the center of the field. i also think the best time to hunt corn is during gun season so you can &quot;push or drive&quot; the corn

hunt on 25 days to go

Quick Reply: Tips For Bowhunting Around Corn Fields ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.