Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Tips For Bowhunting Around Corn Fields ?

Old 09-05-2002, 08:47 AM

Default RE: Tips For Bowhunting Around Corn Fields ?

I agree with Nick's approach, at least that's what has worked for me. Have a good idea about trails into and out of the corn and what's at the other end (cover, bedding area, etc.). Then when the farmer starts combining . . . be there! You don't have to be set up right on top of the field but you need to be on an exit trail. If you scout it and bump deer pay particular attention to the way they leave the field and head into the timber. This has been a great setup for me in the past. Good Luck!
Old 09-05-2002, 02:52 PM

I've had good luck hunting hedge rows between fields. Remember, the deer will generally travel with the rows so if you can find some rows with a lot of tracks indicating multiple days use and they're within shooting range of a good tree, that will be a pretty good set up.

Water close to corn is a good spot also. Morning, noon and night.

Lots of fun hunting corn!

Old 09-05-2002, 03:29 PM

Read amosgregs post again. Thats what I do. Around here deer will bed down in cornfields during the day. They feel safe in corn. You can sneak thru cornfields just like amos says and if you are slow and patient you can sneak up on deer bedded in the corn. They will be bedded in the middle of the row and will probably be facing downwind. Each row you come to dont stick your head out. You have to peek down the rows looking thru the cornstalks. Once you spot a deer try to get in a downwind row about 20 yards from his row and sneak up to make the shot. It is very exciting hunting.
Old 09-05-2002, 04:28 PM

Although I don't hunt whitetail deer, I've read articles on just this situation. You should try directly inside the corn field. If it is tall enough to hide you. Deer like to bed in the field. The trick is to still hunt.

Start on the downwind side and look down the rows as you go. You want to move very slow. So slow that if an animal were to look at you, they wouldn't even be able to see you moving. Or at least as slow as you can. At each row, peak your head through and look down the lanes, left and right for deer bedded or feeding.

There are lot of good articles on the subject. I'm sure if you look through your old hunting mag stockpiles, you'll find some. Good luck.

Nic