Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A New BowHunter

Old 01-15-2005, 05:20 PM

Default RE: A New BowHunter

i work at a bow shop and i would really recomend you a Parker with these bows if the draw gets to short of you just plan outgrow the bow you can have the risers sent and and they will just send you the next size, i think it cost like $50 to get the new risers when you out grow them. But $50 is way better than a new bow. You can get a good Parker from $300-500. But like most people say just go to the proshop they will help you get set up. Just remember they are trying to sell something so if you are not comfortable with the bow or something doesn't feel right TELL THEM... You dont want to be out in the woods hunting with a uncomfortable bow. Hope this helps.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:30 PM

I think the wingspan method is a little more accurate for getting a rough draw length. Measure finger tip to finger tip. Subtract 15 and divide by two. That will give you a good starting point. As far as bows go, there are many good ones out there. Just depends on what your budget is. I would find a reputable bow shop in your area and have them help you out. Good luck and welcome to the boards.
Old 01-15-2005, 06:46 PM

Ok I redid the the Tape thing and did the knuckle part and now im reading about 28 in.

Thnsk for the help all of you
Old 01-15-2005, 08:08 PM
Fork Horn

I just sold my Parker Hunter Mag (fully loaded) on ebay. It was my second bow (first good one). The nice thing about Parker is you can buy em ready to shoot or hunt with. I shot mine for a year (Dec. to Dec.) and in Oct. harvested my first bow kill. I shot a nice 140lb doe. It did the trick and my arrow blew right through her. I would recomend a Parker to anyone lookin to get started. But remember..................
Old 01-17-2005, 05:36 PM

Alright I did some lookin, and I was wondering what yuo people think about this Bow.

http://parkerbows.com/buckhunteroutfitter.html
Old 01-17-2005, 05:54 PM

That is the bow I own right now, well the bow, I didn't buy the package. I got it because I didn't want to drop 600 on a bow and than find out I hated the darn hobby/sport/obsession and be out big bucks. That being said, I really like it and find myself showing up at odd proshops within a 60 mile radius of the home asking if I can shoot one of their fancy bows. Shot my first Bowtech today, a Justice (God, not a bad bow at all. Good speed, quit and steady. At 70 pounds pulled like a dream too. Now I just got to find a proshop that will let me shoot the allegience) and shot my first Mathews today as well (Switchback. Damn nice bow, felt nothing as the arrow was launched..Heard almost nothing too. Shot pretty good instinctively with it too).

I digress. I think the Parker you are looking at is a real good bow to start with and will get the job done. It has some limitations but I think you get a pretty good bang for your buck value on it.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:00 PM

Alright good, becasue It looks like it comes with a few cool accesories. $300 aint bad either, it fits my budget nicely.
Old 01-17-2005, 06:13 PM

Now I got more questions.

What types of arrows should I be using? My buddy recommends Carbon arrows becaue they are stronger he says.

What types of Broadheads should I be using for Hunting? Practice?
Old 01-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

1] First off just to be sure you've gotten your draw length correct ,stop by a proshop and get yourself measured just to be sure ,you don't want to go and buy a bow set for 28" if just maybe your actually 29.5 inch's [Just a precaution} and there is NO charge to get measured.
2] Set your budget NOT including accessories .
3]Try numerous bow's in that price range, because they all most likely will feel different to you.
4] Try to remember what you like about each bow ,also remember what you didn't like about each bow as well .If your taking your time buying try to document each bow like's and dislike's on paper.
5] Boil it down to about 4 selection's and then compare the 4 bow's of your choice.
6] Go with the bow that feel's the best for you. Because what feel's right for you might not feel right for the next guy.
7] Then consider adding another 200.00 plus for your accessories.

As for the Parker ,I looked a couple at BassPro last week and they look to be a pretty well biult bow ,although I never shot one .The price seem's to pretty reasonable .
Good luck with your choosing the right bow.Remember you have to like it in order to be able to shoot it well ,so don't buy it because someone else tell's you that that is the bow for you. You need to feel that it's the right one .

Let us know what you choose ,everyone on this forum will be here to help you with any question's you might need to ask.

As for the arrow's I'd choose the Carbon's that are in the 8 to 10 gr per inch. Although there are some good alluminum's out there as well .I found the alluminum's break alot easier than the carbon's ,but the carbon's were a little more expensive.
As for broadhead's there's soooo many on the market to choose from and they all are good .My choice was the Montec G5's for my setup . You'll have to check them out for yourself ,but I'd stay with the 100gr head ,depending on your arrow wieght.

nubo
Old 01-17-2005, 11:05 PM

After doing everyhing that Nubo says you will find yourself drawn back to the proshops in 6 months (Or in my case 6 days) looking at a whole new set of bows and get to start the whole process over again. Not because the bow you have isn't just fine but because, well in my case its because I'm crazy. One of these days I will figure out if I actually want to buy one of the three Bowtechs I looked at or the Mathews I looked at. They all shoot so dang nice (So far, need to shoot two more of the Bowtechs). The way I see it, the longer it takes me to decide the longer I have to come up with a plan to convince my wife that it makes sense...If I could only afford two it would make it so much easier...Who am I kidding, I would than be looking at 8 different bows. That Oneida has intriqued me from the begining of bow shopping...Hmm, better make it 5 bows.

As far as arrows, if you decided to get that Parker combo it comes with some Super Carbons. I don't hear many people talk about them but I bought some when I got my bow (Proshop carries them and said they were okay) and I think they shoot darn good. I don't know how long they will last but I do shoot a lot and haven't had any problems so far with them loosing accuracy.

Okay, now I gotta figure which cow gets sold to buy my new bow...

Quick Reply: A New BowHunter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.