Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Shot the Allegiance and Switchback today

Old 01-12-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Shot the Allegiance and Switchback today

Well........I had been hearing a lot of nice things about the new Bowtechs and so I thought I would head to the shop and send a few arrows through one. I have a 2003 Patriot already but I would be willing to upgrade if something blows my sox off.

First thing I found out was that they can't change the draw length on a Bowtech without replacing the cams........[:'(] That sucked because my draw length is 27" and all they had was 29"........not the end of the world but not great either.

I grabbed an Allegiance that was set at 67lbs and headed to the range with my Patriot in tow to compare the 2. From everything I had heard I expected the Allegiance to draw MUCH smoother then it did......it felt every bit of 67 lbs and when I went back to my Patriot at 63 it felt like 50. The draw was not smooth and was not easy IMO........it got better the more I shot so maybe you get used to it. I expected a smoother draw from all the things I heard.

The bow SMOKES..........absolutely SMOKES arrows. There is no doubt about that. It sizzles, plain and simple. The bow was solid and smooth......I did feel some buzz in the grip on the shot.......nothing huge but it was there. I went back and forth shooting my Patriot and the Allegiance. I wish I could have shot a 27" Allegiance to compare speeds better because at 2" longer and 4 lbs more draw weight my Patriot would shoot faster too.......not as fast as the Allegiance I don't think but it would have been nice to see. Great bow no doubt, and worth the $700.......top shelf all around. I will be keeping my Patriot though. IMO my Patriot draws smoother and shoots as well if not better.........speed difference would be the only reason to upgrade and there wasn't enough difference there to justify it either.

I highly recommend you go shoot one if you get the chance.......a super, super bow. For anyone who already owns a Bowtech I would say that your step up would be minimal at this point.........like going from a Corvette to a newer Corvette..........sweet as hell no question.......just not much sweeter then your current ride. In the end the decision will be a personal one but I just didn't find anything on the Allegiance that made me want to have one over my Patriot.

On to the Switchback..........I have NEVER, NEVER, NEVER had anything good to say about a Mathews bow...............until now. The Switchback is a damn fine bow. The draw is as smoooooooooth as silk (what I expected the Allegiance to be) and it is dead in your hand....close your eyes and put ear plugs in and you will be hard pressed to knw when the bow went off. Bravo. The one noticable thing for me was speed. The Switchback just didn't sling them like my Patriot or the Allegiance. Don't know what the IBO is on the Switchback but it was slower. Not a snail by any means and fast enough to kill anything out there, but not a burner for those interested in those things. Lastly, Mathews grips have always felt like crap in my hands.......the Switchback's grip fits me like a glove. Personal thing again but felt great to me.

All around EXCELLENT bow........really have no negatives at all except not blown away by the speed.......for longer draw guys or people that don't hug a chrono every day it should be a dream bow......speed seekers may be left wanting that little extra.

Both wonderful bows that anyone will be thrilled with IMO. Go shoot them if you get the chance. I am going back soon to shoot a Defender, and 05 Patriot just for kicks.....didn't have time today once the hunting stories started flying
Old 01-12-2005, 09:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Shot the Allegiance and Switchback today

atlasman I have a new left handed swithcback comming my way. BTW you own a pro shop correct? The reason I ask is, have you seen any left handed switchbacks out yet? Also if you don't mind, please look at my "Bow Accessories" post and tell me your honest opinion off what I have choosen. Thanks
Old 01-12-2005, 09:32 PM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

atlasman I have a new left handed swithcback comming my way. BTW you own a pro shop correct? The reason I ask is, have you seen any left handed switchbacks out yet? Also if you don't mind, please look at my "Bow Accessories" post and tell me your honest opinion off what I have choosen. Thanks

Do you have any idea how many members you owe new monitors too??

Coffee will be spit all over the country when people read that

No man.......I don't own a proshop, sorry I will go look though and help if I can.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:35 PM

Never used the sight or rest you bought......sorry.

Limb saver stuff is quality no matter what it is...........I don't care for leeches though.

Have fun with that Switchback........that is one sweet bow.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

atlasman sorry dude for some reason I was sure that you owned a Pro-Shop, oh well if it makes someone laugh, cheers them up and puts a smile on their face then my job is done here!
Old 01-13-2005, 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: idahoelkinstructor

atlasman sorry dude for some reason I was sure that you owned a Pro-Shop

My wife would agree with you..........accessories all over the place, arrows and fletching experiments everywhere and a 50 yard bag range + 3D targets in the back yard.

[8D]
Old 01-13-2005, 11:33 AM

speed is irrelevant

sounds like the Switchback is the perfect bow
Old 01-13-2005, 01:44 PM

Hey guys I work part time at a bow shop. And have shot and tuned every bow that is out there. But there is no bow I have ever shot as sweet as the switchback. They are easy to tune and as fast as it needs to be.I shoot 28 inches and with a GT arrow and 70 ibs Im getting 274fps. Thats way over my 260fps that I usaly shoot for a hunting set up.And as far as hand shock there is none.Also you usaly think that short ata bows are unstable I have found that this bow is not. This bow has really amazed me on the speeds,forgiveness,and the tuneablity.The only thing that consernce me is the new strings and cables dont know much about them.And how they are going to hold up. But I guess time will tell.Anybody that is looking for a new bow this year really needs to check this one out. I dont think you be disapointed.
Old 01-13-2005, 01:53 PM

ORIGINAL: datamax

speed is irrelevant

sounds like the Switchback is the perfect bow

While I can appreciate what you are saying...........irrelevant is not the word I would use.

I used to shoot a lighter arrow at 250 fps.......fast enough for sure to kill.......in fact that bow has killed 3 deer in 3 years with no problems.

My Patriot shoots a heavier arrow at 275 fps...........everything else is the same. If I used my old arrows I would hit 280.

Speed isn't everything by any means........but when you can get an extra 25-30 fps without changing draw length or weight I will take it in a heart beat and never go back.

I wouldn't say the Switchback is perfect..........but I wouldn't laugh at anyone who says it is, that's for sure
Old 01-13-2005, 03:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mark, I suspect a 27" Allegiance would feel better to you. The draw curve is such that it has the weight at the front, then just eases into the wall. A shorter draw would definitely be a better feeling bow to you. I've shot the SB, and felt that while the draw was smooth, it was also fairly stiff. The bow is absolutely quiet and exhibits low recoil/vibration. Both are top of the line bows. The final decision will, most likely, come down to personal preference.

Quick Reply: Shot the Allegiance and Switchback today

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.