Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Buying a new bow

Old 01-10-2005, 10:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Buying a new bow

Alright here's the story. I have not picked up a bow in 15 years and my moose hunting buddies are pressuring me to do an archery moose hunt this fall(its easier to draw tags in Ontario). My last bow, which I still have was a 70lb YORK CNC with the alpha cams. Most you guys probably don't have a clue what this bow is i bet, but it was state of the art when I bought it! (LoL) Anyway I need a bow that I can hunt moose, black bear and whitetail with. I used to be a pretty good shot in my day and that was with 35% let-off with my CNC.
What do I need in a bow, arrows (carbon, alum?), and broadheads? I will of course go to a good pro shop to purchase but would like some general recommendations on the basics needed. Oh, I also used to shoot fingers only so the release thing is totally foreign to me but those new bows look awful short so I guess you almost need a release now. Not really looking for brand x is better than brand y at this point just what is a good moose setup. Appreciate any help.
Old 01-10-2005, 10:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Buying a new bow

A good moose setup today would be any brand(x and y) bow set at 60 lbs plus.You will gain more speed with lighter carbons,but if your looking to a heavier arrow out of todays bows then go alluminum.
Almost any bow manufacteur today makes good bows and you definately get what you pay for.
You are right,most bows come on an average of 33-35 ATA.Here is where a good release will come in.Most archers usually find using a release more accurate as well.
My point is,any modern bow made today with 60lbs pull plus will be sufficient for moose or anything else for that matter.Use a good broadhead,3 blade cut on contact like the muzzy or G5 and you shouldent have a problem.
Here in Ont,you need a bow set at a min of 50 lbs for moose.
My setup----bowtech patriot,set at 70 lbs with 28 inch draw shooting CX300.Producing lots of speed,sufficient K.E.I would not feel underbowed for anything in North America
Old 01-10-2005, 10:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

extreme1,
OK, good starting info. Have you ever heard or dealt with Wolfs Den? They seem to be one of the larger shops close to me. Are they reputable? Competitive? Or would recommend Bass Pro? Also what do you think of crossbows for moose?
Old 01-10-2005, 11:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have heard of wolfs den,as a matter of fact,I think thats where NUBO goes.Maybe he will come on and correct me
Personally I think you should go there and not Bass Pro just for the fact that Wolfs Den is a pro shop and they will help you on a more personal customer based level.Being new to archery(havent shot in 15 years) then the pro shop can set you up and get you started .You may go to Bass Pro for accesories like a release,stabilizer etc as they may be cheaper there.

I know alot of guys who use crossbows for deer and moose(crossbows are legal for game animals in ontario if anyone is wondering)Excalibur seems to be the number 1 seller in my area.Personally I have no problem with crossbows if they are treated as a bow and not a gun.Some people think its O.K to shoot a little farther then necessary because it has a scope.Practice with it and know your limitations and you wont have a problem with one.
Old 01-11-2005, 06:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

TerryM!

Yes,I do deal with the Wolf's Den and yes again they are very repitable shop ,they carry P.S.E. ,Hoyt,AR and BowTech and I have seen Kodiak as well in thier shop .They'll be sure to have your bow setup just right before you leave the shop .They also have a small range down stair's that they'll make sure your shooting bullseye's before you leave .They also have a 3D range out back and a target range as well . It's always nice to have somewhere to go when you feel like going out and shooting your bow for the afternoon.
Terry you don't need any more than 60# to hunt anything here in North America.Just give me a call and I'll come with you when your looking for a bow ,you don't need to spend big money in order to get yourself a bow that will do the job. The Wolf's Den is only about 45minute's from you ,so it wouldn't be long drive .

nubo

nubo
Old 01-11-2005, 08:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Man Nubo your a nice guy. Trying to help others out