Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

String Silencers

Old 01-05-2005, 06:11 AM

Default String Silencers

How May Of You Guys Use Some Sort Of String Silencers? If So, Do You USe Them On Your Cables As Well? What Type Is Recommended? Thanks Again
Old 01-05-2005, 11:01 AM

Default RE: String Silencers

people have called me crazy, but i still use the "puff" silencers, even on my mathews. they work and thats all that matters to me
Old 01-05-2005, 11:08 AM

I use the puff balls as well. I have tried most of the rubber ones and just don't like them. They all make a rubber whizzing sound of some sort that bugs me. And some of them don't last that long. The yarn puff balls are really quiet and last for darn near ever.

The only down side is when walking thru woods they pick up every little thing. And the get wet when it rains. I haven't noticed where it makes my bow shoot any different though. They are pretty cheap as well.

Paul
Old 01-05-2005, 05:33 PM

I have tried several different ones. I can't stand string leeches, all they do is rip, cat whiskers are durable, but I didn't notice any difference. Puff balls are hard to go wrong with, but again, I didn't notice any difference. I took them all off and the bow is just as quiet with nothing. The one thing that quieted the ol' Hoyt down was limb savers. Obviously, shooting a heavier arrow will cut down on the noise as well, not knowing how light your arrows are now. Of course, make sure everthing is tightened down so as not to get any vibration. A good stabilizer will also help.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:03 PM

What type of limbsavers did you use? The adhesive type or the type that connect to your limb bolts?
Old 01-05-2005, 06:07 PM

I have split limbs, so I use the split limb variety. I know of people who use the adhesive, and with good success. I don't know anything about the ones that attach to the limb bolts..
Old 01-06-2005, 10:11 AM

You are talking about the NV system by PSE but made by Simms. I have them on my mighty might. They work pretty well on it. I don't know that you would need them on a Mathews though. They cost like 50 bucks or so when I got them, and you have to take the limb bolts out to install them (shop if you don't have press).

I also have the stick on limb savers. I don't believe you can have too many antivibration devices on your bow. Vibration is the enemy! I would install string silencers as well, even if you don't notice a difference. I have never heard a bow that didn't benefit from them. Even the ones that have them built in, like the mathews and the such.

Paul
Old 01-06-2005, 11:01 AM
Typical Buck

I also do not care for the string leeches I have tried the small ones and the big ones and they don't work that well, espicialy when they get old the rubber gets hard and there goes any absorbing of vibration. I do believe however in the limbsavers but you have to replace them after a while to because they get hard. I think I might ty the new rubber puff ball silencers I havent tried them yet. I am on some sort of mission to find the best silencers, maybe I will end up going back to the good old yarn puff balls as well.