Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How far should I shoot?

Old 01-04-2005, 08:26 PM

Default How far should I shoot?

I am shooting a dull speed of about 230 fps right now but plan to tweak it up to about 250 in the near future by using some upgrades. What would be the longest "ethical" shot with such a setup? I would guess maybe 30-40 yards???
Old 01-04-2005, 08:58 PM

Default RE: How far should I shoot?

Speed doesn't matter.... what matters is how accurate and comfortable you are at that range. Add to that the fact that shooting at a animal in the field has many more potential problems than shooting at a target. Wind, twigs, animal movement, ect..

All in all, it is up to you. In the past, 20 yards was the furthest I would shoot, and now I would feel comfortable (given the right circumstances) to shoot out to 30-35 yards! I can stack them in their pretty good at 50 yards, but in my eyes, there are way too many things that can turn a good shot to a bad shot in the field at that distance!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:28 PM

thanks....
Old 01-04-2005, 10:16 PM

Buck Magnet is right speed does not matter to many ppl get caught up in the speed thing, speed is nice when it comes to judging distances(flater trajectory) the most important thing is shot placement and a good sharp broadhead and just take the shots you are confident that you can make. example is Chuck Adams he shoots the Reflex Caribou which only has an ibo rating of 254fps and he uses heavy aluminum arrows, and he has no problem taking large game with clean kills
Old 01-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

No one can tell you that! You must prove to yourself what your limit is. Your limit is the furthest you can shoot and NOT MISS the vitals EVER! I have friends who don't ever shoot more than 15 yards (they're that bad) and I have a buddy who'd I put money on every time at 60 yards. I practice some to 40 and 50 and basically put them all in the in the kill zone, but I'd never shoot that far......my limit is 30 yards on a broadside still shot, 25 and less is automatic!

3D practice is great, but its not a moving animal in outdoor conditions and terrain. Your limit should be considerablly less than target practice.

Good Luck!
Old 01-05-2005, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

good advice so far. Also another thing you need to consider is hitting something at 35 yds in a t-shirt in your yard as compared to full hunting clothes from a tree. BIG difference. How are your nerves when shooting at a deer? If you are a beginner I think even shortening up your range is a good idea until you get a few under your belt. Good luck.