Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

where does it end???

Old 01-04-2005, 03:14 PM
Typical Buck

Default where does it end???

I posted a thread about trad gear and it brought up a question I think bears a thread of its own.
Muzzle loaders_ How modern should they be? you got in-line /disce, scoped 200 yard acceracey or flint lock -old school side cap iron site rifle with 75 to 100 acceracey. to me this area of black powed has bee way over modernized. the muzzle loader season was put into place to keep a tradition alive. most modern muzzle loaders today mite as well be rifles,

Bows- I have a Mathews, it is like a rifle 100yard shots at the range are not difficault but I would never shoot at a animal at that range. sight's, rest with micro tune 85% let off Ect.

Where does it end?? Is there any reason to continue to modernize the sport that is suppost to be . difficalt
Old 01-04-2005, 03:16 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: where does it end???

ORIGINAL: Rich Baker

Muzzle loaders_ How modern should they be?
Two levels of modernization.

First, as modern/efficient as the law allows.
Two, as modern/efficient as you personally choose to use.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

I agree with you Jack, but I personaly think it has gone to far. To the point were there isn't much differance between moder firarms and what is suppose to be primitive arms. Just trying to get a feel for the general hunting community. We all have choices on the arm we use and I am not knocking a guy for useing a in-line with a scope. Im just saying isnt the whole point to be primitive???? IE no scope ??? no 200 yard shots?? or has the whole hunting /adveritivsing/ hunting show public just gaga over tec. tools
Old 01-04-2005, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

Not all states classify it as "primitive firearms" season nor is it apparently an attempt to simulate primitive firearms situation.

I believe most states where the regulations state it is "primitive firearms" season they have appropriate regulations in place to see it remains as it was intended.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:51 PM

Dude, it aint going to stop. I agree on some points but they are mute. IT AINT GOING TO STOP so like me, you will just have to accept it and move on[&o]. Here in Virginia, I see the crossGUN coming. I don't like it but I got to accept and move on[:'(]. You just have to use the weapon you are comfortable with. As the old saying goes "Change what you can and accept what you can't" or something like that. Don
Old 01-04-2005, 05:44 PM
Typical Buck

I agree I just think its silly to put up a frount of one thing and be headed in another direction.
Old 01-04-2005, 07:59 PM

Good point Rich. Don
Old 01-04-2005, 08:11 PM

It definetly isn't stopping. You can now purchase a kit for on Ruger rifles that allow them to fire arrows, yes.. arrows. I can't remember the speed the arrows get, something between 400-475 f.p.s.

I am not going to call myself primitive because I shoot a compound bow. It just seems like an injustice. I see all these guys shooting compounds on t.v. and hunting movies talking about how they bagged their game with the good ol "stick and string", but they leave out the fiberglass, carbon, aluminum, cams, wheels, arrow rests, sights, quivers, dampeners, stabilizers, ect..

Now, why do I shoot a compound? Because I am not accurate enough in my own mind with a recurve or longbow. Some day, I may be able to trust myself enough to hunt with one, but now, I don't. With a compound, I feel entirely confident now. It took me a few years to build my confidence as some guys on here can attest to, as them bashing me for my two lost deer made me re-think everything! With their comments, I have become a much better archer as every time I am in my treestand, I think about what all they said. If I am offered a shot, I wait to make sure everything is perfect, and thinking about what they said to me takes my mind off the shot and calms my nerves.
Old 01-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pa still has a cap and ball flint season with late archery. I been out 3 times with the flintlock this season but no luck. Still have to jan 15 to fill my Buck tag with flintlock or bow. I love hunting with the flintlock it's a cool gun to shoot. They tried to get the in-lines in the primative flintlock season some years back but the hardcore flintlockers almost burned down the PA game commision headquarters. The PA GREED commision pulled it of the table though. I just wish the PA GREED COMMISION would have pulled the plug on the CROSSBOLTS in Archery season. NOT !!!!! TOO much $$$$$$$$$$ to be made. This State is going DOWN[] Sorry had to vent[:@]
PS; WHERE HAVE YOU GONE GARY ALT!!!! WHO CARES