Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elk

Old 01-02-2005, 12:27 AM

Default elk

jan 1st how and do i call the elk in can you call them and wht call
Old 01-02-2005, 12:44 AM

Default RE: elk

I would recommend some light cow calls, just some little mews.... spot them and then infiltrate with some light cow talk. Where good matching camo (matches your area) and make sure to be scent free, and a little extra cow scent on the boots would also be good. And also get one of those little air checker bottles (little puff bottles full of whiteish powder) and keep the wind in your face.

That should be a good starting point, Good luck!!!

Idaho
Old 01-02-2005, 12:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Just make sure to not blow them things in front of your face.
Old 01-04-2005, 11:09 PM

so idaho have never called before what kind of call woulthat be
Old 01-04-2005, 11:53 PM

Go and purchase a Hootchie Mama, it will give you the basic cow elk sounds, and it is really really really really really easy to use!
Old 01-05-2005, 12:05 AM

thanx dude any ideas on hunting gpw that connecct to the pc
Old 01-05-2005, 12:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Waterfx, I have a couple of questions for you. First how old are you and how long have you hunted? Second, have you ever elk hunted before? And where do you live? Not trying to grill you but just trying to get to know you so I can help out. Elk hunting with a bow can be the greatest fun on earth but starting out will be a challenge. In Idaho, for instance, there is a statistic that states 60% of new elk bowhunters give up after 3 unsuccessful years. The success rate state wide is around 15 percent every year. With time and presistance you can teach yourself to punch your elk tag almost every year with a bow and overcome the 85% unsuccessful statistic and be in the successful 15% who do kill an elk every year. Also, I should add that of the 15 % that are successful, most repeat year after year. The Hoochie Mama is a good call but it can only do simple cow sounds. Elk have a complex language and they make many sounds. I have one, along with a whole assortment of other calls. Calling in elk is a skill that takes time to learn, but first you have to learn to sound like an elk before you can call in an elk.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:48 AM

ah my first season on elk used to hunt as a youth gotone of two deer this year in rifle am looking at going bow and rifle next year am trying to decide on a a bow though i live in livermore colorado about a 11 miles up deer arn't a problem elk i missed the shot lol i have some good grounds picked out for bow next year i have till the 31 st to get my elk this year my bull season was cut short cuse of work but i still have a cow tag and they are in the area what would you suggest