Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

elk bows

Old 01-01-2005, 09:17 PM

Default elk bows

hi all happy new year i need a bow for elk any ideas draw the whole bit i have always shot long bows am good with 75 lbs and am a decent shot any help would be appriatiated for give the spelling
Old 01-01-2005, 09:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: elk bows

To say that you need a powerful one would not be true if you hit em right. However I prefer one that produces at least 70 lbs of ke and a good broadhead that is cut on impact. Elk are heavy boned and a stonger bow will give you better penetration in a less than desirable hit. I have blown through many elk and like to have two wound channels to drop blood. One of the guys that I hunt with uses a 60 lb bow and kills them just as dead as my bow. I would concentrate more on braodhead selection than I would on bow poundage though. What type of bow do you shoot now, with a few small changes you might not need a new one.
Old 01-01-2005, 11:01 PM

i have only shot recurves in the past am looking for an elk bow about 40 too a hundred yards
Old 01-02-2005, 09:54 AM

It is so personal when picking a new bow. If you hunt out west & will also hunt mule deer or pronghorns I think I would go with a little longer ATA length to help improve long range accuracy. IF you only hunt the thick stuff & a 20-30 yard shot is your max then look at something a little shorter but with good speed.

Here are a couple of great bows to check out.

Long ATA length - Mathews Conquest 3, Bowtech Constitution, Hoyt Ultratec, AR 37, and the Darton Tundra Extreme.

Moderate ATA Length - Mathews Switchback, Bowtech Allegiance, Hoyt Xtec, Darton Typhoon Exptreme, and the PSE Vengeance.

You should find that any good modern 60-70lb bow will work on elk when teamed up with a good arrow & broadhead combination!

Good Luck!
Old 01-02-2005, 09:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

Taking sensible shots, using GOOD broadheads, and being accurate with your placement is a heck of a lot more important than the type of bow, etc...... as far as shooting yp to 100 yards with a bow, i would say NO, get a gun if ya wanna shoot them more than 40 yards IMO.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

100 yards with a bow?[]
Old 01-02-2005, 12:16 PM
Typical Buck

Just dont go over draw and try to speed up your arrow by droping weight .Elk can be killed with a 50# bow my wife dose it most years.I however shot 78#. If there is snow on the ground it is not real necessary to get an exit wound,but with no snow it is very hard to track elk in moutain terrain.As a few guys have said CUT ON IMPACT blades make a big difrants.If you are moutain hunting feathers are the way to go wind in the moutains shifts a lot.

I hunt with a guy from out east he uses a long bow and is one of the best hunters I have every had the chance to hunt with.I beleave with his skill in stocking he could kill elk with a knife.He shouts a 72# hand made bow my hat is off to JIM.
Old 01-02-2005, 12:30 PM

waterfx - I just noticed you said 40 to 100 yards. I can see a 40 yard shot if you practice & are great at holding a group at those yards & shoot the right equipment. Anything beyond that is unethical in my opinion, I would even question anything over 40. You have to be a perfectionist with your gear, shooting form, and know all the variables (wind, shooting angle, exact yardage, etc.) to be able to pull off a 50 or 60 yard shot. I only say a few guys can pull it off regularly & they would be Chuck Adams, Tim Strickland, and Randy Ulmer.

If you plan on those types of long range shot then bowhunting may not be the type of hunting you want to do. Just curious, are you serious about 100 yard shots? Switching to a compound dosn't give you very much more range than a longbow to be honest in most hunting situations. Heck if you shoot a longbow good I would hunt with it if it was me.