Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any experience w/ Ameristep's Doghouse Blind

Old 12-30-2004, 04:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Any experience w/ Ameristep's Doghouse Blind

I received a $100 debit card from my company for Christmas. I was in Gander Mountain today looking over ground blinds and they had the Ameristep Doghouse TSC Reversible total scent containment ground blind on sale from $159 to $99 so I purchased one and it cost me a total of $5.73 towards the tax....

My question, anyone have experience with said blind and could offer up any pro's and con's, do's and dont's, concerns or advice....thanks in advance. [&:]
Old 12-30-2004, 04:35 PM

Default RE: Any experience w/ Ameristep's Doghouse Blind

I have hunted with one on several occasions this year. My biggest problem with it is that I can't draw my bow inside of it. I have to open a window to draw, kind of defeats the purpose I think. One thing I would do if the blind was mine is buy some extra mesh and mesh the entire window, not just the small center. The velcro is already in place for that. The blind sets up easily, just watch the spring steel, it'll get ya, I know, cut my nose good....[&:] It folds easily, if you don't read the instructions. They advise to rotate your hands or something like that....ahhhhh...just bring em together and lay it flat...you'll see....I did see deer in this blind, once while muzzleloader hunting, and he was only about 15 yards away, I had to have the window open as you can't shoot throught the mesh with a smokepole. He looked at me several times, but never spooked.
Overall I like it, but it is useless to me as I can't draw inside. I shoot 29 inch arrows with a 30 inch draw, and just can't do it without hitting the walls....
Old 12-30-2004, 05:15 PM

do's and dont's
don't stretch your back by leaning forward on a stool, with a bow in your lap....my wife did this and put a crisp-cut little "Y" in the front of the blind with a broadhead [:@]

otherwise, i agree with mobowhuntr, the instructions are confusing as all get-out. Start with #1 and stop...lol

put both hands on the top "support rail" and bend the thing in half...the rest will come naturally
Old 12-30-2004, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I got one for Xmas. There are different models and they vary in size and features. I got the 898 which has the TSC. I have only sat in it 2 times and had 2 does come in close before my son stood up and spooked them. I have tried opening 2 windows but may go to one large. I have a light on my sight and I think that may be useful with only 1 window open. I sit in the back corner with enough elbow room to draw (slightly bumps) and there is enough room to clear my arrow and I have a 29 1/2 draw. So far, I really like it. I also got one of those buckets with the swivel seat and it seems like the perfect size.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:26 PM
Typical Buck

I have the regular doghouse & its a bit smaller at 5' square than yours I think. Sat in it a few times but havent seen anything yet but I can draw in there pretty easily, I'm a 28" draw shooting 27 & 3/4" arrows. I have a bgger one thats 7X7 that I got 3 does from this year without the mesh stuff. They look at the blind but cant see you in there so long as only one or 2 windows are open. The mesh scared me at first as I didnt believe it wouldnt affect the arrow flight. 2 of the 3 I shot from my blind this year I shot right thru the window fabric & still got my deer. I only opened the window 4" or so & even tho I practiced like this, while hunting I forgot to make sure I would clear the window & aimed too low punching 2 holes each time thru the tent. Did it another time as well but missed that deer htting a branch. I think I'd a got that one too if the stick didnt jump in front of my arrow. From my above experiences I feel safe saying that one can shoot thru the mesh. Gotta be better than perferating your blind.
Old 12-30-2004, 08:57 PM
Typical Buck

I've got the regular doghouse.

I sent back an Outhouse because I couldn't use my bow in it. The doghouse seems plenty big to me for one hunter. Two can squeeze in for guns.

I saw deer out of mine the day afte I set it up. Killed two out of it and never moved it all season.

By the end of the season it was working great as a sort of mini base camp. Any time bad weather or short of time I went straight to it. That can be a bad thing to. It's awful EZ to just go where you are already set up and wind up in less than where you want to be just cause it's easy.

A shot gun through the screen blows out just about a third of the screen window but you can get screen at walmart by the yard in the fabric department.

Instead of setting up square with your intended target area, I recomend setting so the corner is sort of between two target areas if possible and you can open the windows adjacent and sit against the opposing corner. This prevents getting back lighted by an open window on the opposing side. I wouldn't recomend ever opening opposing windows. I put string on the "flaps" so I could open and close them if I chose to with out opening anything else.

I also put felt cloth on the vertical velcrow for the screens so if I had time I could slip a gun through and not make any noise to save the screen if possible.

For gun season I highly recomend a folding aluminum camp chair with a back and the BiFurPod shooting sticks from Varmint Al's web sight. I like the folding chair much better than those cloth collapsing things that are all the rage right now. It is lighter and more comfortable. You can move and make "adjustments" easier and quieter than trying to get turned a little sitting in one of those cloth "buckets".

Good luck and hope this helps.
Old 12-31-2004, 12:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

You need a masters degree in engineering to read the instructions and a couple shots of old jack might help folding it back up
Old 12-31-2004, 07:42 AM
Boone & Crockett

mobowhuntr, I can see where drawing might be a problem. That is the reason I bought it, mostly to bowhunt gobblers....I've set it up here in my computer room and crawled into it. I didn't take my bow in yet to see but I think I'll get away with it. It sure comes open easy and I could see where it could get your nose... but I'm yet to even get it folded....it leans against my closet doors to show guests coming tonight for New Years...[&:]

VA Bowhntr, lol start with number one and stop....your right, the directions are lacking to say the least. I'm going to need practice folding that darn thing back up.

aeroslinger, the bucket sounds like a good idea, I've got to purchase a chair or swivel bucket or something. Thanks for the advice.

Leverdude, I'll definately practice, I can see where one might forget and have the arrow go out through the tent and not the window. I don't believe I'm going to shoot thru the net.

Jack Ryan, I don't think I'll shoot my shotgun out the mesh either, does sound like your going to blow the holes through it. I really like the string idea and will have to get inside and see how I can modify it for my personal use. The velcro is noisy and so is the zippers if you need to make a window change so a string or something designed to allow quick and quiet flap changes sounds like the ticket. Again, I'm not sure what style chair I'm going to use as of yet, I'll have to experiment and shop around. Alot of great ideas and suggestions and I can't wait til spring gobbler season.

Cardeer....LOL you are exactly right.
Old 12-31-2004, 08:41 AM

I just bought the Ameristep Outhouse blind yesterday for $35, but now I'm thinking I should trade it in for the Doghouse blind because I had hoped to bow hunt out of it next year. It sounds like the Outhouse blind isn't big enough for that.
By the way, WalMart has the Doghouse blind on sale for $70...
What to do, what to do?
Old 12-31-2004, 09:23 AM

trade up to the doghouse, worth the extra $$$

Quick Reply: Any experience w/ Ameristep's Doghouse Blind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.