Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Any experience w/ Ameristep's Doghouse Blind

Old 12-31-2004, 12:06 PM

Default RE: Any experience w/ Ameristep's Doghouse Blind

I just got back from Wal-Mart and they actually have the Doghouse blind on sale for $50! I got one of them for myself and I'm going to give the Outhouse blind to my dad for his birthday. Gotta love those Rollback prices!
Old 12-31-2004, 12:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

[8D]Sorry.
Old 12-31-2004, 04:50 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: cardeer

You need a masters degree in engineering to read the instructions and a couple shots of old jack might help folding it back up
I've done 'em both Doghouse and Outhouse and the bigger Doghouse is way easier. The trick is to just let it do what IT WANTS to do. Don't try to force it the way it seems it should go.
Old 12-31-2004, 05:56 PM

Just bought the bigger Ameristep for recurve as well as compound. This thing is like 90 inches tall and plenty wide for shooting anything you want from it. No need to drop a window or screen to shoot. It is big enough to camp in.
Yes, the instructions are a hoot. No prob setting it up, but folding it back into its carrying case is interesting. As someone already said, just sort of let it go where it wants when folding it back.
Old 12-31-2004, 06:01 PM

Rob, folding is actually really easy WHEN you figure it out.....

1. Hold hands at 10 and 2, roughly, bend the thing over to about 45 degrees.

2. Without rotating your hands, or anything else, pull your hands together until they touch. The thing will sort of look like an hourglass on its side, holding both sides with one hand, tuck the circle above your
hands, ( 10-2) and tuck it under with the free hand. Then you will see the light, and the thing will fall into place. Just be careful when you pick it up, the nose thing you know......[&:]

I can picture it in my mind, hope I splaind it well.....
Old 01-01-2005, 07:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have the original doghouse. Folding it and getting it back in is a piece of cake once you get the hang of it. You can actually tear it down in have it back in about 2 minutes.(an accomplishment that seems impossible when you first look at the thing lol).
I dont' have much trouble drawing back inside of it. I wouldn't want it any smaller though. I love hunting out of mine. It's great for those "perfect" spots where you can't get a tree stand. Like the others said, never open windows on opposite sides. If possible leave it up if you plan on hunting from the same place a lot. Don't get too spoiled by getting out of the elements and in the cozy confines of the hut (it is nice sometimes).
As far as the deer? I took mine out of the box and headed to the woods with it the first day (should have aired it out first but I didnt'). I popped it up, and was trimming branches, putting stakes in, etc......... I finally got the thing set up where I wanted. I was unzipped my front window and a 6 pointer was standing there about 40 yards from me lol. Instant believer. I've had a lot of deer come right to the thing and never pay it any attention. However I've had some awfully strange looks at it too. Whatever the case, it's a great portable option. Good luck and good hunting.