Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Winter vs Fall Hunting

Old 12-29-2004, 01:02 PM

Default Winter vs Fall Hunting

Just had a quick question. I was wondering if it's better to hunt in the winter or fall for whitetail deer, and the pors and cons of each. Thanks!!!
Old 12-29-2004, 01:08 PM

Default RE: Winter vs Fall Hunting

I like fall better than winter, but each has its own charms. The fall is usually more comfortable to sit through. The rut also kicks in here in the fall. There's nothing like a blood trail on the snow though! All in all I'd say hunt every day you can, but I prefer fall.
Old 12-29-2004, 01:56 PM

I like three times of year for deer hunting....early season in Sept. when the deer are stillin their summer pattern & the leaves are full of foilage. The next is the pre rut when the bucks are starting to get wound up, and finally the end of season (here in Ky it's Jan.) when the weather is cold, snow can be on the gorund & the deer tend to move more to feed and have returned back to a more normal pattern compaired to the rut.

I have killed deer during all three of these times & each has an advanatage & disadvanatge.....when is the best time to hunt? Anytime your wife will let you out of the house to go!
Old 12-29-2004, 02:31 PM

when is the best time to hunt? Anytime your wife will let you out of the house to go!
Ding ding ding!