Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Doe Caught in a Frozen Lake

Old 12-22-2004, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Doe Caught in a Frozen Lake

I live on a little lake in Western lower Michigan and there is another lake connected to it by a channel running about 200 yards apart. Wonderful funnel. Deer can cross the channel rather easy but I always seem to see deer. It is very thick in some areas and the deer have pretty well beaten trails to travel. Every year though, they decide to try to take the easy way through the lake and cross the ice. Last year when ice fishing I found a dead doe half way in the ice. Very Sad. So a couple days ago I went out to hunt and didn't seem much but decided to go over to the other lake and see what the ice was looking like. I got to the other lake and noticed several tracks on the ice but figured they were otters or rats. I was cautious of the ice since it was that thick yet but followed the tracks from the land. Sure enough a poor little dow had some to close to a spring but fell in shallow water. I had to do something quick so I hurried back to the house and got some 2 x 4's to stand on and distrubute my weight. when I returned the does head was down on the ice and I thought she has died but she finally lifted it up. I hurried and set the 2 x 4's beside her and broke the ice were she had fallen. When i got it broke all around her she just couldnt get up and I couldn't lift her without falling in the water. Finally I got postioned and lifted her half way out of the water and she kicked up out of the hole. When she got out she just layed there for a second. She tried to get up but was unstable. I brought her to the land and got her on her feet, tried to dry her off as best I could and she walked off so hopefully that went for the best. Sorry it's so long but the temps. warmed and hopefully she lived. - Buckhunter
Old 12-22-2004, 08:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Doe Caught in a Frozen Lake

Nice job! Another story to send PETA to show them that we truly care for the animals we so love to hunt. Enough to even put ourselves in harms way. Way to go buckhunter!!!
Old 12-22-2004, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wow what a story!!!

I'm glad to hear that your were able to safely pull her out. I shudder to think what could have happened to either of you.

You are either very brave or very crazy.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:06 AM

Great job! Hope she makes it through the winter.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Every year we seem to see stories somewhere about ice and deer....the deer don't know any better when it comes to the ice and many die due to drowning or breaking their hips on the ice....this time, you saved that ones life. There's probably no doubt she recovered. Very well done.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:14 AM

Cudos!

As sad as it seems, this is nature. Personally I'd rather see a deer that has drowned then one that was torn apart by dog on the ice (which I've seen a couple of times.) I applaud your effort and am happy you weren't injured in the process. I hope your efforts and good nature come full circle for you some day.
Old 12-22-2004, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

job well done buckhunter. glad to see you didnt fall through the ice with her!
Old 12-22-2004, 09:44 AM

WOW, your story had me feeling like I was watching "Animal Rescue 911."

Depending on how shallow that water actually was, you could've easily been in that doe's position as well. Nice work but I'm not sure if I'd've been brave enough to risk falling thru the ice myself.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:40 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice job ,thanks for caring
Old 12-22-2004, 11:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Way to go! Be proud!

Quick Reply: Doe Caught in a Frozen Lake

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.