Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rescued A Little Buck... With Pics

Old 12-22-2004, 04:47 PM

Default RE: Rescued A Little Buck... With Pics

I passed this onto my son and he cried. Great story.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for trying Lady Forge! I'm not sure the story would have had the same effects without the pics , but if that doesn't tug on your heart strings nothing will.

My mothers family had a pet doe when she was a kid growing up in northern Wisconsin. Her and her sisters found it (as a fawn) buried in three feet of snow. They took it home and nursed it back to health and it never left. They had it for nine years before it died of old age.
Yes I believe things in nature happen for a reason. If you believe that then you also have to believe that when we interfere with mother nature it has to be for a reason also. Had they let mother nature take her course they would not have had the fond memories of that doe and the doe herself would have been coyote food.
Old 12-22-2004, 05:38 PM
Boone & Crockett

Best thread I've read on here.

Great story and thank you and your husband for being what hunters are all about.
Old 12-22-2004, 08:17 PM

I respectfully disagree with those who think we should just let mother nature take its course. If that was the way it should be, then none of us should be hunting. We have a role to play in nature - sometimes its taking a life, sometimes its saving one... Like Ladyforge said, she wanted to give something back.

You should feel proud of what you and your husband did. I do think that another option could have been to end the young buck's suffering yourselves. I have done that myself on occasion when I thought there was no hope for the animal. It is a judgment call that you have to make, based on your opinion alone - no right or wrong. We are responsible for all of nature and usually when we follow our hearts, we make the right decision.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Jay;
Its okay... I dont feel chastised ....you didnt say to me anything I already hadnt been thinking about.
Hind sight is 20 /20.

amayerican;
Now dont be shy............Just Come On And Say What Your Thinking.......
Im Pretty Sure Your Barking Up The Wrong Tree On This One.
Lets see if Im close on this one......... Was it the fawn of the doe my husband shot????. ......WRONG!!!!!
How do we know this??? .... We found the doe with her large doe fawn bedded near her and she jumped up and ran off when we aproached them.
Did I hit the mark on that one......?
Sorry if Im way off on this ...but I dont think I am....
I just dont feel like playing tip toe around the subject today[:'(]
Old 12-23-2004, 06:59 AM

Lady,

I agree... very easy to be "right" after the fact, and 1000 miles away after reading a post.

For what it's worth, you and your husband are obviously good people and it makes me feel proud that there are people like you hunting in the woods.