Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rescued A Little Buck... With Pics

Old 12-22-2004, 10:07 AM

Default RE: Rescued A Little Buck... With Pics

Very touching story. Thanks for trying to help the little guy.
I found a similar button buck dead on my land a few weeks ago. He had bedded down under a few small bushes where he had died. He seemed otherwise healthy - no evidence of chronic wasting disease or injury. I think he was the same little guy that walked up to the ladder on my tree stand earlier this year, stopped, and stared up at me for a few seconds then continued on. I was surprised he was alone.
Anyway, I went back the next day with a shovel and buried him. I didn't see any reason to feed the coyotes such a neat little creature.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:19 AM
Typical Buck

good for you, this is great story with a sad ending, too bad the little guy didn't make it, but you did all you could
Old 12-22-2004, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thank you for sharing. I wish it had a better ending.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:12 PM

I am not trying to be controversial at all, but I don't understand why you picked him up and moved him? After reading your post, I definitely felt sorry for the little guy and truly wish the little buck hadn't died. That being said, as hunter's I would hope that we all can appreciate stepping into Mother Nature's plan and stopping her from doing her necessary work is not a good thing. He died for a reason.. and in that you can take comfort. He may have been diseased, injured... or just not strong enough to surive, and those deer can not and should not be saved. The love we have for ALL deer has to stop us from thinking with our hearts and not with our heads.

I can understand the emotions that caused you to "try" .. but I for one take solace in KNOWING that nature doesn't allow anything to happen without a purpose. For anyone who reads this post, let the sick, injured and diseased die. As hunter's, we know how the cycle works and should not be foolish enough to think we can "fix" nature.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jay;
You are correct..........I will admitt that we were thinking with our hearts not our heads.
But I think back and I know we were trying to do what we thought was the right thing to do for the Button Buck.... we had only the best of intentions.
But I am human.... and at times we let our hearts guide us not our heads.
We truely thought he had a fighting chance if we could just get him dried and warmed up.
You are proabably right we should have left it in mother natures hands.... But in the end mother nature got her way anyways.
I just couldnt see him like that and not try to help him.... I guess I have not yet mastered thought control over my emotions.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:30 PM

My husband and I went out Sunday am to blood trail a doe he bow shot the evening before
their was no mother doe in the area... so he was on his own
Old 12-22-2004, 01:34 PM

Lady, I most certainly did not mean to chastise you. As I said, I felt sad just reading your post. I thought it was important though to point out the other side for people who find themselves in a similar situation.

I've been there before. You can't win, it feels horrible to watch them die .. at the same time it's not good to to the deer to save the sick or to hunting by humanizing the little deer.
Old 12-22-2004, 01:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am sorry to hear that he died but what did you expect. Someone else mentioned that if he let you pick him up without a fight, he was already gone. He probably had hypothermia and was too far gone. I would have probably wanted and maybe even tried to help him too, being in that situation, But I would have been wrong to do so. Nature always takes it's course and we should not interfere. I know your heart was leading you and I understand, but it is best to leave be. He was obviously a very immature little guy, probably born late in the year. Without his mama looking out for him he wouldn't last the winter anyway. Your effort wasn't completely in vain, for it shows the true heart of a hunter to those PETA people who are watching.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: amayerican

My husband and I went out Sunday am to blood trail a doe he bow shot the evening before
their was no mother doe in the area... so he was on his own

I know what you are saying, but that is hunting. We can't go out the door in the morning, thinking of potential scenarios of what our taking a doe could lead to for some other young deer. Most fawns will survive if mom is taken by a hunter, this little guy didn't stand a chance from the get-go.
Born too late for a good chance probably.
Old 12-22-2004, 04:08 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I applaud your efforts but they not have been in your best interests. Any time a wild animal is that sick it is best left alone. Rabies has always got to be a consideration in a diseased wild animal. Not only will you not likely save an animal in this condition it could be hazardous to your health to try. The IDNR has those policies for a reason.
In defense of the vet school, they don't have a lot of money in place for these rescue programs. If they have paying clients animals they are going to take priority. Had you offered to pay for the care of the deer I'm sure it would have gotten looked at sooner. They do what they can but the states cut budgets every year and it makes it very hard to have those type of programs in place. Sadly most of the vet schools have to operate on the funds generated by the hospital and they simply can't afford to put a lot of time and effort into these programs.

Quick Reply: Rescued A Little Buck... With Pics

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.