Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Game Camera Question

Old 12-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Game Camera Question

I had my 35mm game cam stolen. It was a cheapie, so no big deal.

I've gotta get another one, and I'd really like to try a digital unit.

My old 35mm used to click and wind after taking a photo. It was fairly loud.

1. Are the digital ones totally silent?
2. Do you have to bring home the entire unit to look at the photos?
3. Any water/ice/snow problems?
4. Suggestions?
Old 12-21-2004, 04:49 PM

Default RE: Game Camera Question

Sorry to hear some lowlife stole your camera. Be careful with a digital, I would hate to have one of those stolen. I have a Leaf River and will refer to it to answer your questions:
1. Yes, totally silent
2. No, I bring a compact flash card with me when going to the camera. I pull out the card in the camera and replace it with the one I brought with me. I bought a card reader for $20 to look at the pics on my computer. Also the cards run $30 to $40 apiece depending on how many megs you go with.
3. Not yet and have not heard of any.
4. Buy a Leaf River! I am very happy with mine and will be buying a 2nd one to put at another property I hunt. Another suggestion I have read from Cornfed is to use a cable with a cinch lock to help deter theft. Right now I have mine padlocked with a normal "bike type" coiled cable but am going to add a cinch lock for extra security.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Blodg

Sorry to hear some lowlife stole your camera. Be careful with a digital, I would hate to have one of those stolen. I have a Leaf River and will refer to it to answer your questions:
1. Yes, totally silent
2. No, I bring a compact flash card with me when going to the camera. I pull out the card in the camera and replace it with the one I brought with me. I bought a card reader for $20 to look at the pics on my computer. Also the cards run $30 to $40 apiece depending on how many megs you go with.
3. Not yet and have not heard of any.
4. Buy a Leaf River! I am very happy with mine and will be buying a 2nd one to put at another property I hunt. Another suggestion I have read from Cornfed is to use a cable with a cinch lock to help deter theft. Right now I have mine padlocked with a normal "bike type" coiled cable but am going to add a cinch lock for extra security.
Ditto!!! Leaf River gets my vote. As mentioned I suggest the MasterLock Python lock to secure the unit.

Old 12-21-2004, 07:07 PM

The digital cameras are so much better. The pictures will amaze you.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:13 PM
Typical Buck

I recommend building your own. can build cheaper than you can buy, plus get the added satisfaction of doing it your self. they are not very difficult to build now a days.

p.s guys who you the pythons, they only deter the honest folk who might slip up and become dishonest as these are easily cut with a small pair bolt cutters. if they want your cam they will get it no matter what you use.

I recommend visiting hagshouse.com or jessie's hunting page for more info on how to build your own. I have built over 15 in the last year. kinda fun b/c as new stuff comes out you sell your old and upgrade.

abh
Old 12-22-2004, 06:00 AM

p.s guys who you the pythons, they only deter the honest folk who might slip up and become dishonest as these are easily cut with a small pair bolt cutters. if they want your cam they will get it no matter what you use.
Do you know of a better method to secure a trail cam? I agree that if someone really wants it they will get it but I surely am going to use some type of cable. Let us know what you use, also I would love to see some pictures from your home made camera. Please post some for us.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:44 PM

i work at a sporting goods store in Iowa and we have these digital ones there i think they are maultree or something but they are only $160.00 i though they were pretty cheap for a digital. im not sure how good these cameras are i have never used one nor have heard of good or bad news about them.
Old 12-23-2004, 06:48 AM

Avoid the digital Stealth cams like the plague!

They suck, have a variety of problems and Stealth dose not stand behind their products. If you must get a stealth (DON'T DO IT!!!) the 1.3 mp cam has les issues then the 3.0 mp model. BUT DON'T DO IT!!!!
Old 12-23-2004, 12:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Aaahhhh, yet another HAPPY Stealth customer!!! I have never heard anything good about 'em! I tried the 3MP model and based on my own experiences.... I totally agree with you.... they arte terrible! [&:]