Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A view from the stand

Old 12-20-2004, 09:10 PM

Default A view from the stand

I don't know why but I enjoyed seeing the pics when Rob/PA Bowyer and others posted some views from their tree stands. I guess maybe it is easy to appreciate because of all the time we spend sitting there. It is also interesting to see what type of terrain other members are hunting.

Anyways, here is a pic of one of my most productive spots. What makes this area so good for me is because the creek you can see runs to a waterfall and deep ravine about 50 yards behind the stand. Where the creek meets the ravine it is a drop about 30 feet straight down with rock along the sides. Since the deer can not cross this steep cut they have to pass the head of the falls if they want to get to the other side. This forms a great funnel but the woods here run for thousands of acres and the deer do not have to cross for any reason and some days they don't (no defined bedding and feeding areas). The 2nd key point is the thick pines you can see to the left. The left or uphill side is all thick pines and the right side across the creek is open hardwoods so the stand is sitting in a great transition area. I have been in several different trees in this area over the years. The first few years I sat in the pines up the hill a little ways and saw tons of deer but never had clear shots because the pines are too thick. I like this spot the best but sometimes when they come out of the pines you have no warning and they are on you quick.

Old 12-20-2004, 09:18 PM

Default RE: A view from the stand

great pic!! thanks for sharing!
Old 12-20-2004, 09:26 PM
Dominant Buck

It would be great with out that darn crossbow. Why would anyone want to hunt with it. It makes it too easy.

Just kidding completely. Looks like a great place to kill time and a few other things. Can I have a turn sitting there?

Good luck!
Old 12-20-2004, 09:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let me guess? You're taking the pic and that's your son sitting below you with the crossbow? Just a wild guess...

Looks like a great spot!
Old 12-21-2004, 12:38 AM
Boone & Crockett

Nice looking spot,The sound of running water would put me to sleep or pee my pants
Old 12-21-2004, 04:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice pic,kinda reminds me of one of my spots
Old 12-21-2004, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Very nice looking spot. And to think there are really nice bucks walking around in there as well. I can see why you put a stand there Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-21-2004, 06:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

Sure look's like a great spot ,now just imagine it with 2 feet of snow and a compound LOL.

nubo
Old 12-21-2004, 06:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Great picture, looks like a great spot but one question. How do you stay awake on early morning hunts with the stream babbling along? That would put me to sleep. That's a beautiful spot. I know I'd spend hours watching the water roll by, listening to the sounds of the brook, pulling in the scents that surround water and pines.....Thanks for sharing as well.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:40 AM

Let me guess? You're taking the pic and that's your son sitting below you with the crossbow? Just a wild guess...
MQ1 you would be correct, I don't hunt with a crossbow. I assumed most of you have read my numerous posts about my 11 year old using a crossbow for his first year of hunting. It was a great experience and I am glad we did it. He shot a 146 6/8" buck standing in the creek at 16 yards just in front of that pile of leaves in the picture. This year we are going to put more time into him shooting his bow and if he can shoot 40 lbs. accurately this fall the crossbow will go up for sale. Well on 2nd thought maybe it won't go up for sale, I also have a 2 year old who could use it in a few years

Some funny comments about the stream putting me to sleep. Actually I can fall asleep in any stand, running water or not! To be honest the running water can be a pain after a rain fall because the rushing water and waterfall so close make it impossible to hear a deer coming. I think it also makes the deer uncomfortable because I do not see as many when the stream is loud. Most of the time it barely trickles and you don't really notice it.

Thanks for the comments.