Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

help me spend money!!!!!!!

Old 12-20-2004, 07:19 PM

Default help me spend money!!!!!!!

I got about $200.00 to spend on a ground blind. I have never owned or used a blind, so I don't know much about them, other than double bull is about the best. So which blind should I get. Thanks
Old 12-21-2004, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: help me spend money!!!!!!!

I have my doubt's that you'll get a new double bull blind for 200.00 but Ameristep and hunter's view have model's in your price range for sure .Ground blind's work excellent for turkey hunting with a bow or shotgun ,but if you plan on hunting deer you might want to look into the scent lock version .I don't personally use a ground blind for deer since I prefer to be up high in order to get a broader view of the bush .But some do like them when they're using decoy's for deer .

nubo
Old 12-21-2004, 07:45 AM
Typical Buck

I have and Ameristep Doghouse. There's not as much room as the same size Double Bull because of the round top. But It works well. And cost $70.00 compared to $400.00. I never used it to much deer hunting but we used it for Turks, and it worked great! Go to www.ameristep.com I don't have the TSC and I'm not sure it's worth the extra money. Check them out for yourself. Also the Doghouse is really easy to set up and take down. You basically just throw it and it pops up.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Go cheap your first time around. If you haven't used a pop-up ground blind before, then there is a lot to learn. Don't undergo your learning curve on a pricey ground blind.

Once you learned from all your mistakes, you can then spend $400-$450 later on a good ground blind.

Go cheap now. You can still accomplish what you want in a less-expensive, ground blind that you can with a "luxury" ground blind. You can learn how to set it up, place it, camo it properly. That is a lot of wear and tear for a ground blind.

By the time you know what you want to do with the thing it will not be in great condition.
Old 12-21-2004, 09:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest the opposite. I would strongly suggest saving the extra cash and stepping up to the best in the business, the Double Bull the first time around. The quality can't even begin to compare. You can either have a solid, well constructed, heavy duty canvas type blind like the DB or a flimsy little thin cotton wind flapping blind that you'll only ask yourself WHY you wasted the $100 on? I beleive that the new '05 Matrix Double Bull is going to be THE ticket for a serious ground assault! I'm gonna try to upgrade my T5 DB to a new Matrix by this springs Gobbler season.
Old 12-21-2004, 10:11 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Il-Cornfed. The extra money I spent on my DB was worth it to me. Durable, easy to set up, roomy for the kids and quiet. Think about saving up for the best. I rarely regret buying the best, but often cuss myself for buying something to get by.
Old 12-21-2004, 07:02 PM

DONT GO CHEAP. Nothing worse than wasting your money. I have a hunters view. I opened it a grand total of 10 times and it is already breaking the "tubing" that holds the poles together. I know better than to do this but I normally hunt from my treestand and bought it so I could take my son and daughter with me.